Author Topic: Transformation Theater  (Read 96415 times)

Shifting Sands

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • I dunno, you tell me.
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: May 16, 2015, 03:10:08 PM
Okay, finally setting things into motion here. Hoping you'll all respond by the day's end, but I might not be able to keep pushing this along for the moment because I need to take care of a networking class.

-------------------

You find yourselves coming to after assorted fights and brawls, awakening in cells that are just spaced enough with stone that you can't reach out to one another. You can definitely, however, speak across the hall to each other. The two of you who need appropriate air to breathe have not been deprived of your bubbly helmets, thankfully. Apart from those intact items, all of you are visibly roughed up and left without many of your items.

Some sort of guard comes swimming past, and you remember as they appear to be the same as what first attacked you - skum. Various humanoid creatures, pulled together under a single force by the corrupt aboleth through the use of some creepy gunk. It's pretty easy to tell if they've been affected, considering their body gives off an oily substance and their eyes have turned red. Still, underneath all of those changes, their bodies are still largely the same.

Four guards come to each of your cells and they silently open the steely, enchanted doors that hold you separate. They immediately bind your hands with brine-hemp, the black, seaweed replacement for rope and twine. Still without a word they begin to move you along dark, crowded halls.

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #31 on: May 16, 2015, 03:43:38 PM
Ugh.  Hate it when this happens.

"Hey, you!  Oily swimming guard!  This isn't the lost city of Atlantis, is it? Oww!!  Watch it with that trident!  Look, I'm sorry I accidentally discovered your underwater xenophobic civilization while deep sea diving for public domain treasure.  These sorts of things just happen!"

I could probably cook this guy by boiling the water around him.  There seems to be a lot of other swimming creatures in these halls though, not including the other prisoners, so this probably wouldn't be the best place to make my escape.  Ugh!  I hate water!  This is the last time I'm ever getting wet again!

[fox] Virmir

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: May 16, 2015, 05:03:12 PM
Mike's memories were hazy. This is not unusual of course, the otter had long been a creature of the 'now'. Once there was a time where this was different, where he could remember making the speech sounds and being clever, but also cruel and full of malice. Mike didn't really like those times much, and so he rarely dwelled on those memories, as distant and fuzzy as they were. Instead he spent his time seeking out interesting things and eating them. Sometimes this turned out to be a bad idea and hurt his teeth or made him feel unwell so he didn't eat those things in the future if he remembered. He did other things too of course, eating only passes the time so much. He would play with things, explore places, and tease people.

That's what he had been doing last he could recall. He had seen a rather stiff looking person and decided they needed some more fun. So something of theirs and held it just out of reach, darting in and under their attempts to take it back. The game had ended suddenly when something hit him from behind and after that he didn't really remember anything at all until the cell. The cell was interesting at first, but got boring very quickly. The place was simple, there was nothing to interact with, and no small things to eat. The people nearby were more interesting but Mike couldn't really get to them and mostly didn't understand their words. He has since been bagged and dragged out in the hall with those others and is currently listening to the fox bluster. He seems to be talking to a guard but the words he says are ones Mike isn't familiar with mostly. He perks his ears up at 'Atlantis' though. Atlantis? They are in Atlantis? Mike has been there before (he thinks) and remembers it being much fun! Why if he can get out of this bag there is probably all sorts of things to do here!

**Mike starts wiggling around trying to escape his bonds.**

Dice Rolls
  • May 16, 2015, 05:03:12 PM: Escaping Bonds
    1d20 => 1d20 [2] (2) = 2
Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • I gurl
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: May 16, 2015, 05:31:30 PM
The first thing that struck Yilin was how much he wanted to club that bartender's skull.

Or was it the other client?  Or maybe, no, hadn't he last been in his (temporary, inadequate, utterly unsanitary) apartment the last he remembered?

And come to think of it, no, it wasn't his desire to crack open's someone's head.  It was how much his OWN hurt at the moment.  Like someone had driven spikes into it.

Utterly intolerable.  Someone was going to have their eyelids frozen shut with nitrogenizing spells by the time this was over.  Indeed, someone would pay, someone would pay dearly.  Now if Yilin could just figure out who that was supposed to be...

He moved to rub his head, body still feeling tight.  Blast it, he HATED being underwater all the time.  He much preferred the full body bubbles; feeling all that water squeeze him from all sides was never something he had gotten used to.  Blasted water, blasted dragons and beasts who had destroyed the surface, blasted fish people for being so slimy and irritating, blasted FOOD that consisted half the time of nothing more than slime...

Grumbling loudly, he follows the other creatures as they are led forward along with him.  Slowly he begins to grumble louder.  "Who's bright idea was it to throw us down here anyway?  I didn't even do anything?  Why am I stuck with these dregs?  Do you know who I am??" he said louder, trying to sound intimidating to the guards-even if they were possessed or whatever, he was just pissed off enough not to care.

Dice Rolls
  • May 16, 2015, 05:31:30 PM: CHA attempt on the guards
    1d20-2 => 1d20 [11] (11) - 2 = 9
🏳️‍⚧️Princess is a contagious condition🏳️‍⚧️
She/her pronouns please ❤️

Draykin

• Quad-Tailed Island Kitsune Warlock
  • What could possibly go wrong, besides the obvious?
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: May 16, 2015, 07:40:25 PM
These others are strange, Attor thought. Strange in so many ways. They do not look alike, but they speak the same. Except for that other wiggly one, the quiet one. Like a normal animal, it seems. Not the other two, though. Smart. Do not appear strong. What makes them special? Attor is not strong either, but he does not need to be. One good strike is all it ever takes. Except for when that strike fails and gets your hunt-pack killed. He remembers for a moment.

Attor is sad.

But then he thinks of other thoughts. He remembers being made alone, but does not remember how he came here. Was it to escape? Flee a failed hunt? Was that it? Was he brought here by these.... guards? No, guards guard things. That is what he had learned in various talks with the non-krait. Guards like the sentries that stalk the corals, yes, yes. But these guards... They no stalk corals. Yes, they keep them there. Like hunters and prey. But how to escape? To return to other krait-kin? Bite might allow him to escape... But it would be hard with the restraints. He also doesn't know where he is, and would likely get lost easily. Escape, no good now. Survive, yes. Bigger bodies may be of use. Yes, yes. The krait flicks his tongue out at the air-breathers. That is why they have the bubbles. They must be of the breathers of air, not water.

Attor thrashes his tail around some, but mostly just to move. He is not sure he has ever heard of Atlantis before. A name is good to know, though.

It gets so lonely being evil
What I'd do to see a smile
Even for a little while
And no one loves you when you're evil
I'm lying through my teeth!
Your tears are all the company I need

Shifting Sands

• I dunno, you tell me.
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: May 17, 2015, 06:46:59 PM
(It's not ACTUALLY LITERALLY Atlantis, dammit! I'm just trying to relate it to your feeble foxy mind, and then you go and spread that to these other innocents!)

Mike's attempt at escaping his bonds proves to be pretty much worthless - despite being a smaller animal, the skum don't seem to have any issues tightening the brine-hemp to the tiny wrists of the otter. Likewise, Yilin's yelling (did you name him like that on purpose) does absolutely nothing to convince the humanoids to let him go. They don't respond in the slightest, not even bothering to silence the squat mage. Maybe it's because they fear harming those bubbles and suffocating the human through that - or maybe they've completely lost the capability to care about speech that comes from sources that aren't deemed "important" to them by aboleth leaders.

Despite the halls NOT BELONGING TO ATLANTIS, you find yourselves being pulled out to an area that is just a bit brighter than the confined corridors that you were contained in before. You pass under an arch and a gate that drops from it, and the space suddenly becomes much more open. The area is... circular, it seems. It's domed off, too, with a series of blades and sharp instruments from the battlements of stone that rest atop the walls of the circle. There's no way you could escape through that way, barring you all lost ninety percent of your body mass or you became water itself. You'd be hacked to pieces by your own stupidity first.

Above those blades and in the battlements of the spot are numerous undersea races, including some more skum. However, rather than looking super-dull and indoctrinated, these people are alight with excitement and... something else. They almost appear ravenous. They begin to swim around the top of the dome, agitated, and yell down through the blades. What kind of a place is this? Some sort of trial? A stoning held underwater?

It's not long until a gate that is directly across from the one you entered from opens, and out from it comes a group of chained vorzh, though these are not similar to Attor in form. These have long, spindly legs that reach up to the sternum of a normal human, and they lack a real neck. Their heads are swollen and bulging with fins on the top, their eyes glassy. A sort of webbing ties all their legs together like a dress. It's graceful and beautiful, in an underwater creature sort of way. Their genders are almost impossible to determine. These must be related to squid, somehow.

(I'll say now that you're free to roll INT to see if you can discern more about any sort of creature or spot if you're curious. I'll add in bonuses or information if you succeed on these rolls, but I'll only allow ONE from the whole party. Choose your lucky character or your smartest.)

More yelling comes from the creatures above you, and the gates behind your two groups slam shut into stone. An odd, echoing voice from above begins to enter your mind without ever gracing your ears. "Gladiatorial sanctum," it communicates. "One group standing." Far, far above the ravenous crowd, you can see the outline of something big. VERY big, with chitin and tentacles and all number of things scary.

There are four squid-vorzh to match the four of you, it seems. And according to the voice, "Victors survive. Advance."

You don't seem to have much of a choice, and the fewer enemies you have, the better. Best that you stick with your group and fight together.

(So now combat will happen, unless you can somehow all roll miracle rolls in a series of events and weasel your ways out of it. ((Which is rare)) In this case, everyone just rolls a d20, no modifier, to determine when your action takes place. The higher the number, the sooner in the turns you will act. This doesn't mean you have to wait until everyone takes their turn to post! You can, and that would be nice for chronological order and the purpose of determining what action to take, but I understand that people might have things come up or whatever. I'm just going to roll the order of these vorzh because I've got an essay to finish before the day is done and this is already quite a bit for me.)

Dice Rolls
  • May 17, 2015, 06:46:59 PM: Krait 1 Turn Order
    1d20 => 1d20 [20] (20) = 20
  • May 17, 2015, 06:46:59 PM: Krait 2 Turn Order
    1d20 => 1d20 [7] (7) = 7
  • May 17, 2015, 06:46:59 PM: Krait 3 Turn Order
    1d20 => 1d20 [14] (14) = 14
  • May 17, 2015, 06:46:59 PM: Krait 4 Turn Order
    1d20 => 1d20 [1] (1) = 1

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #36 on: May 17, 2015, 08:28:04 PM
"They always do this in Atlantis," I say conversationally, leaning over towards one of my fellow prisoners, "It's basically their welcoming committee.  You've got to fight to the death first, and then the mermaids will come out and serve us seafood salad and stuff.  It's just the Atlantisonian thing to do."

Right, so I got some sort of a fish man, some tail-less creature vaguely resembling a hairless monkey (presumably something lower down on the evolution chain) and a...  random otter on my side?  TREES.  I am never swimming again.

On the flip side, I can probably take all four of these squid things myself--
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:30:39 PM by Virmir »

Dice Rolls
  • May 17, 2015, 08:28:04 PM: BATTLE INITIATIVE
    1d20 => 1d20 [19] (19) = 19
[fox] Virmir

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: May 17, 2015, 09:34:56 PM
Mike is excited, things are happening! There are loud noises and other people are excited and there is suddenly more room to swim in! However this is slightly complicated by the seaweed still binding Mike. He is not so fond of this and since wiggling didn't work earlier, he will now try biting through it even though it really tastes pretty bad. He decides that he will probably not eat this.

Dice Rolls
  • May 17, 2015, 09:34:56 PM: Turn Order
    1d20 => 1d20 [11] (11) = 11
  • May 17, 2015, 09:34:56 PM: Bite through bindings (Unmodded)
Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Draykin

• Quad-Tailed Island Kitsune Warlock
  • What could possibly go wrong, besides the obvious?
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: May 17, 2015, 09:37:37 PM
Attor had never heard of this Atlantis place, but the grey air-breather must know something. Either that or he is stupid and doesn't have any clue where he is.

Attor notes the rival Vorzh, not kraits. No. Bad Vorzh. Mean Vorzh. Want to kill, yes. Fight? Fight, yes. Hunt-pack, yes!

"Attor is to have hunt-pack again! Attor not alone!"

The little krait-man wriggled with glee at not being alone to die in this world. However, dying is still a possibility. Therefore, escaping these bonds might be a very wise idea. He squirms and tries to free himself.

Dice Rolls
  • May 17, 2015, 09:37:37 PM: INITIATIVE
    1d20 => 1d20 [8] (8) = 8
  • May 17, 2015, 09:37:37 PM: ESCAPE BONDS
    1d20+3 => 1d20 [14] (14) + 3 = 17
It gets so lonely being evil
What I'd do to see a smile
Even for a little while
And no one loves you when you're evil
I'm lying through my teeth!
Your tears are all the company I need

Shifting Sands

• I dunno, you tell me.
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: May 19, 2015, 04:44:15 PM
The first vorzh to move seems especially quick to move, easily breaking free of its bonds and striking at the closest and most talkative of the four, figuring him to be the leader. In a few subtle movements, the squid-vorzh has strode across the terrain to strike at Virmir and try and choke him out with its tentacles.

The second is not too much slower than the first, and spends his time freeing the last of the vorzh - this one seems to be particularly lethargic and stuck under its chains.

The third rests behind the first, moving its tentacles about in a casting sort of way without ever removing its chains. Whatever sort of magic these vorzh can manage would probably be devastating and visceral - you might be able to guess at more if you knew of them better.

The last is still stuck in its chains, working with the second to remove its bindings. They can't yet fight, it seems, but it might not be too long.

(Man, you guys are shmucks. I never said you had to break free of your bonds, yet you guys all wanted to. I'm totally going to cheat up the game and be as unfair and mean as possible. Have fun fighting the forces of evil being manned by a devil of a person)

Dice Rolls
  • May 19, 2015, 04:44:15 PM: Krait 1 STR vs. Virmir AGI
    1d20+1 => 1d20 [19] (19) + 1 = 20
  • May 19, 2015, 04:44:15 PM: Krait 3 Preparation
    1d20+5 => 1d20 [5] (5) + 5 = 10

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #40 on: May 19, 2015, 06:20:55 PM
(Wait, they want us to fight while tied up or something?  Is bond breaking a separate rollable action?  I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!)

Gah! Hey!  Aren't they going to untie us, or anything?  Seeing a mass of tentacles flying my way, I attempt to squirm out of the way!

Dice Rolls
  • May 19, 2015, 06:20:55 PM: AGI
    1d20-2 => 1d20 [18] (18) - 2 = 16
[fox] Virmir

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #41 on: May 19, 2015, 06:25:46 PM
(Double posting so that I can see the result of my dodge attempt before attacking.)

GRRRK!! Eyes bulging, and squished by the tentacles, I attempt to heat up the water around me to a boil to cook this creepy squid guy!

Dice Rolls
  • May 19, 2015, 06:25:46 PM: MAG attack on Calamari 1
    1d20+3 => 1d20 [1] (1) + 3 = 4
[fox] Virmir

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • I gurl
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: May 20, 2015, 04:37:37 AM
(Well hey I never did anything about undoing bonds so I shouldn't be penalized for the others' stupidity!)

Yilin squints, before rolling his eyes.  A gladitorial arena?  Really?

REALLY?

Sighing in disgust, Yilin completely ignores the vorzh attacking the loud mouthed gray fox creature, and instead stares at the two vorzh in the back, with the one trying to untie the other.  Uttering curses and intoning the magical words he attempts to hard freeze the water surrounding them

Dice Rolls
  • May 20, 2015, 04:37:37 AM: Initiative
  • May 20, 2015, 04:37:37 AM: Attack on vorzh #4
    1d20+3 => 1d20 [4] (4) + 3 = 7
She/her pronouns please ❤️

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: May 20, 2015, 12:11:53 PM
(Toast you should be penalized for not posting at all! D: )

Now free of his bindings, (whether that took an action or not), Mike is now free to wander around. Though of course this all seems very dangerous and he doesn't really want to get involved. He will swim upwards to the dome to inspect the 'ceiling' for a bit. Not exactly helpful, but then he's not properly invested in this thing yet anyway.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • I gurl
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: May 20, 2015, 02:12:50 PM
(I'm in the middle of Finals Week!)