Author Topic: History Lesson  (Read 3887 times)

Crabtree

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Tacos
    • View Profile
    • My DA
on: February 02, 2015, 10:30:01 PM
    "This is what you call hospitality? Back in Orrellgate, even the basest of accommodations has more class than this back-water mud hole." A feline in official-looking garb had berated Lt. Ambrose Fennec for the last five minutes about the lack of this commodity and that service. The cat was Kale Markus, an advisor from the kingdom south of the Freyhedge Empire, and was visiting Castle Fennec during a tour of the nation. Despite Ambrose's every attempt to accommodate the feline and his entourage, he could not please the aristocratic Kale, who threw insult after insult in the direction of the little fox. Initially, the blows just rolled off of Ambrose, but as time wore on, the remarks began to wear down the vulpine's mental armor. A twitch of the ear here, a quick clench of the paw there; all clues that Ambrose's patience was wearing dangerously thin, and yet Kale kept on.
    As the group entered the main hall and Kale was about to launch into yet another tirade, a badger approached, "Mine Herrs, my apologies, but the Herr Lieutenant is needed in the armory."
    "Thank you, Viris." the fox responded, struggling to keep his cool.
     As Ambrose marched out, the badger turned to the cat, "Mein Herr, walk with me."
    "Who in the bloody deeps are you?" Kale asked incredulously, unable to believe that a servant was giving him orders.
    "I am someone who has served the Herr Fennec's family for three generations." Viris responded. "With respect, Mein Herr, I believe that gives me the ability to tell you some things about him and his." The badger led the feline into a hall that was lined with the portraits of Ambrose's ancestors. He stopped in front of a painting of a stern looking fox in a cloak that nearly matched his light brown fur. "You have heard of the Dread Mage of the Fell Swamp, no, Mein Herr?"
    "Aye, but those stories are just that, myths and legends, tales to frighten disobedient kittens." Kale responded, "No one can master pure lux, it's too powerful."
    "So you think, Mein Herr, and yet here he is." Viris motioned to the portrait, "Amadeus Fennec, last of the Lux Mages, destroyer of armies, protector of Gleem.  Do you know of Gro-Gimesh the Devastator?"
    "Of course I bloody do, only a simpleton wouldn't." the cat responded indignantly, even though it was ancient history, he was a royal advisor. "If I remember,  he and his army disappeared somewhere around here. But I fail to see what he has to do with this."
    "The fool marched into Gleem and threatened to start separating the townsfolk's heads from their bodies unless Amadeus came to conference. So he came, and was ushered into the main tent with Gro-Gimesh and five bodyguards. Twenty minutes later, Amodeus returned and informed the invaders that they had two hours to leave. When they went into the tent, they found their leader and his guards dead-"
    "He was a BEAR!" Kale exclaimed in disbelief.
    "And he died just like any other mortal. Anyway, after the shock wore off, the army attacked  Amadeus as he was travelling back to his shack. The mayor recorded a bright flash that came from the direction that the invaders went, and a roar like that of a dragon. It is said that Amadeus turned himself into a Drakul."
    "But that's impossible!"
    "That it is, Mein Herr. Yet when the townspeople arrived, over half of the army was dead, most of burns, and Amadeus was standing in the middle of the carnage, calm as can be. The remainder of the invaders had fled into the swamp."
    "I doubt that Sir Ambrose is anything like this... mage." Kale responded.
    "Oh, the Herr Fennec is no mage, that is to be sure, but he has no need for Lux." Viris said, moving to another portrait, this one of a grinning fennec in norse garb who was missing half of his left ear and his upper-right canine tooth. "Neither did Fritjof, the first of his kind to set paw on this land. He was the terror of many a nation, and they say that he would taunt those he did not like into insulting him."
    "Why would he do something so bloody stupid and pointless?" Kale asked.
    "The law of his homeland said that the third insult had to be paid for in blood." Viris stated matter-of-factly. "And he liked to fight, it is said that he would attack military convoys purely for the thrill of the battle."
    "How barbaric." the feline muttered.
    "That it was, and yet it is exactly who he was." the badger responded, "He was a fearsome enemy, and a scarier friend."
    "What do you mean?"
    "He would often involve his friends in the plans that he schemed up. To his credit, he never had anyone do something that he was not willing to do himself, and usually took the riskiest positions in his 'adventures.'"
    "Even so, he lived hundreds of years ago, I fail see how Sir Ambrose is like this cretan." Kale said.
    "Mannerisms are oft passed down, Mein Herr. But you are right, Herr Ambrose is not as violent as Fritjof nor as volatile as Amadeus." Viris replied, then shuffled over to a third painting. The fox in this one was covered in black plate armor and was holding a broadsword. "This is Franz Fennec, he was the one that had this castle built. He is Herr Ambrose's grandfather by five generations, so perhaps you will find him more relevant."
    "And what is that relevance?"
    "Herr Ambrose was fascinated with tales about Franz when he was a kit. They shaped him, whether he knows it or not. Franz was a dedicated fox, when he started construction on the castle, the area was a swamp."  
    "Only a bloody fool would build on a swamp." the feline stated.
    "That is what his friends told him, and yet he continued. The first castle sank into the swamp, so he built a second one, that also sank into the swamp, the third collapsed then sank, and the fourth stood."
    "Didn't know when to give up, did he?"
    "No, he did not, Mein Herr. He said that stoping a project before it was done was a weak and cowardly thing to do. Which is slightly ironic, as he disappeared mere weeks before the castle was completed." Kale chuckled. "Through my service, I have seen elements of all three of these foxes in the Herr Lieutenant. I have also learned that it would do you well to remember the saying 'Sheol has no fury like that of the patient' while dealing with him. His wrath, while rare, puts the fiercest berserker to shame." Kale was about to comment when a thundering boom sounded above the cat and badger. The advisor nearly jumped out of his skin, "WHAT WAS THAT?"
    "That was our lux cannon. Odd, there isn't a firing scheduled today." Viris responded, looking up.
    "A lux cannon?" Kale couldn't believe his ears, only eighty of the weapons had been built, and most were in the capital cities. "Here?"
    "Aye, Franz wanted his castle to be impossible to take by force, and the cannon was one of a few of his ideas that were implemented into the design." The cat was still processing the fact that castle in the middle of a swamp had something that most cities didn't. "Come, Mein Herr, I have a feeling that the Herr Lieutenant will be looking for us soon." Viris started toward the main hall with Kale in tow.

They arrived shortly after Ambrose, who was obviously much happier. He saw them and said, "Ah, Viris, get a wagon and take three squads of guards, I just shot down a wyrvin that wandered too close. Byleav knows where it landed. Oh, and let the kitchen know to get the large oven warming up, and send a crier to Gleem to announce a feast in three days time, all are invited. Herr Markus, stay with us a few more days and I guarantee that you will enjoy yourself. Besides, where else can you have roast dragon?"
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:04:43 AM by Lt Fennec »

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 11:23:13 PM
Amusing little short!  Definitely interested in reading more about this fellow!

[fox] Virmir