Author Topic: The Complete And Accurate Technical Support Log Of Family Member #716  (Read 5410 times)

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
The following is a log of technical support given to Family Member #716 via phone and usually involving Teamviewer, a useful remote assistance program in which I am able to control the other person's computer. Family Member #716 has been named as such for purposes of identity protection. Family Member #716 has an extremely long history of technical support requests, spanning many years.  But details of these surreal encounters have muddied overtime.  Thus to preserve such experiences, I will make efforts to record these events as they occur from now on.

I have seen Family Member #716's laptop in person one time.  It is a beaten, battered thing.  Keys crusted with dust and grime. Scratches and scuffs denting its edges.  One feels the need to wash his hands upon touching it. Family Member #716 repeatedly insists that it is only one year old, when it is in fact at least four or five (although only in use for 1 to 2 years, following the death of a far worse condition machine which was finally put out of its misery by a leaky roof).

The following log is presented as accurately as possible.

----

October 10, 2014

Family Member #716 has a problem.  Family Member #716 is unable to access FireFox.

I inquire what happens when Family Member #716 attempts to access FireFox.

Family Member #716 is unable to describe what happens beyond it not working.  Requests Teamviewer session.

Upon Teamviewer-ing in, I discover that FireFox is working perfectly, however its home page has been changed to ask.com.

"When I try to go to FireFox, this Ask keeps coming up!  I haven't been able to pull up my email or do anything for two days!"

Solution: Uninstall Ask tool bar and reset home page to google so Family Member #716 can google webmail and other sites instead of of using Ask.  Attempted to explain the concept of using the address bar as a temporary solution to access google, however this was likely lost.

As a side note, Family Member #716 had apparently installed the toolbar while trying to access google maps, but found the wrong site.

[fox] Virmir

DigitFiredrake

• Fluffwolf of all trades
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
In other words Family Member #716 is basicly a lost cause who is likely to virus up their computer and likely lending it to the nearest evil botnet?  [;)

-----------------------------------------------------------
There are two kind of people in this world those who are wise enough to know they are crazy and those who aren't.

Caprice

• That guy with the tail
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
    • View Profile
In other words Family Member #716 is basicly a lost cause who is likely to virus up their computer and likely lending it to the nearest evil botnet?  [;)

Hehe
It seems.  [:P

Selena Hallore

• Queen of Winter
  • Crimson Flag Fan
  • Happiness Is The Most Important Thing
    • View Profile
Aww, nice of you to help family. Although, it is something of an obligation.

I don't suppose you would offer technical support to us as well, would you? {;)

Though my avatar may look mean, I am not, so feel free to chat if you like. {:)

I wish I had a fox to cuddle. {;)

Do not create for money or renown. Create to inspire thought, feeling, and happiness in those that will come to know your work. {:)

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • I gurl
    • View Profile

So we can blame Virmir's relative for being part of DDoSing FA, Sofurry, Inkbunny, and all those other sites?

🏳️‍⚧️Princess is a contagious condition🏳️‍⚧️
She/her pronouns please ❤️

DigitFiredrake

• Fluffwolf of all trades
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
So we can blame Virmir's relative for being part of DDoSing FA, Sofurry, Inkbunny, and all those other sites?

... *thinks for a while* YES!

-----------------------------------------------------------
There are two kind of people in this world those who are wise enough to know they are crazy and those who aren't.

BuoyantBliss

• Floaty Balloon
  • Crimson Flag Fan
  • Helium and hydrogen are the best! <3
    • View Profile
I may know what exactly happened. I think either Java or VLC media player, when updating, ask if you want to install the Ask toolbar. But it is checked on by default, so you need to uncheck it. So if Familly Member #716 went "yeah whatever" when installing it, he must have let the ask toolbar checkmarked.

Moral of the story: Never trust installers, always make sure to doublecheck that they wont install undesired apps/softwares/etc on your computer. :3