Author Topic: Sunlight Through The Clouds  (Read 5615 times)

Mehlahphuse

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • The sunny, gold, shapeshifting dragoness :3
    • View Profile
on: April 25, 2014, 06:19:09 PM
Well, decided to post this hear for others to view. This is one of my more larger projects that I'm currently working on. It is a series based in the Emergence universe created by Reel123 on Deviantart (http://reel123.deviantart.com/gallery/) with permissions from the writer. I strongly suggest reading his works if you do decide to start reading mine since you'd get a better grasp on the world itself through his series starting with the Freedom arc, then Emergence, then currently the Existence arc. It isn't a prerequisite to do so to understand mine but you should at least take after you finish with what I have posted.

This is going to be a series. How long it'll be will depend on how well things go as well as the time I have available to me though I at least hope to go fairly far with this. This first chapter is a bit slow as it is just establishing the setting and characters a bit. Currently working on the next chapter in-between working on TF requests I have on my plate from FA which will spark the beginning of the events that will be driving the series forward.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy my series as it progresses as well as Reel123's story as well since it is his world/universe. And keep an eye on out for updates as I'll be updating as fast as I can. Enjoy and good reading!

Mehlahphuse

• View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 06:21:07 PM
Chapter 1: World Changed

It has been a few weeks since the “mystics” revealed themselves to the world. World governments try their best to keep their citizens calm as the each work to bring these magical beings smoothly into normal society, although there remain many parts of the world which still hunt them like monsters. As for the countries supposedly trying to make peace with the mystics there was plenty of mixed reactions to be had. Many people took up to protesting in front of parliament, holding up picket signs reading “Animals aren't people” and “I ain't working with no freaks” to name a couple. Concerned parents complained to school boards about their children going to school with monsters. At the same time there we also people willing to accept these new beings with open arms. And then there were those who didn't even care. As long as things didn't interrupt their daily lives or make things more difficult for them then they didn't care.

Stephen fell into the accepting category. The young man stood there, listening intently as the speaker up on the podium spoke, currently discussing to everyone about the mystic camp site currently being set up in the outskirts of their city of Winnipeg. He was at one of the many information sessions being held across the city about this new development in the world, the one he was attending being held at the nearby school gym. He still couldn't believe there was an elf, let alone a woman elf wearing a formal business suit, standing at the podium talking to everyone about mythical creatures trying to settle into normal society amongst regular people. It felt like he was in a very vivid dream. Living alongside dragons, elves and gryphons was something he always wished for and he relished the opportunity. Not everyone shared Stephen's enthusiasm, however.

"Are these creatures dangerous? I mean, we're talking about giant flying reptiles that breath fire among other things. And what about Chewbaca there? He looks like he could rend people in two without breaking a sweat!" A middle aged man wearing a red striped shirt shouted, pointed at the Sasquatch standing beside the elf woman which most people in the room were watching warily. Thus far he hadn't spoke but simply stood by his elven companion. One could almost assume he was a bodyguard for her. No one was sure if he was a "he" for that matter.

“Yeah! Why put this camp of creatures so close to the city!” Shouted another in the crowd.

This time one of the city officials took the floor. Stephen didn't catch their names coming in but it didn't matter so much. To him they were as interchangeable as anyone else in the same role as they only seemed to be doing this as a formality. "We understand your concerns but rest assured there is no danger from these mystics coming to join our fair city. I'd also like to point out that there won't be any dragons living in the area. And who can blame them for not wanting to live in a city nicknamed 'winterpeg' , right?" The old man joked, though only half-heartedly and only getting a few chuckles from the crowd. He straightened his tie and cleared his throat. "Rest assured we'll be taking every measure to assure that the transition will be safe for both you and the newcomers. As for why the camp will be so close to the city is due to the land currently being the most accessible and most convenient to set up living space for our newest members to our community."

Stephen rolled his eyes at that. Just another way of saying that the land was the cheapest and an area they were most willing to let go off he thought as he listened to the rest of the questions and answers being tossed back and forth. He was feeling a bit disappointed that there weren't gonna be any dragons living nearby. Out of all creatures that were once thought as myth those were his favorite. He would have killed for a chance to see one in person. But then again his more pessimistic side also considered how badly such an encounter could go. He shook his head and resumed listening to the questions and answers being tossed back and forth as well as the subject of classification, referring to everyday humans as Class 1's, human-like mystics as class 2's, and the more animal-like mystics as class 3's. He was also at least grateful that there were as many, if not more people that were genuinely curious about these newcomers to their lives, particularly among the younger members of the audience, as there were people who feared this new group and the changes to come.

Soon the session was over and everyone was sent home. Stephen considered lingering for a chance to ask the elf representative some questions without the crowd but couldn't work up the courage to do so. Her hairy body guard glaring at him when he tried to approach didn't help much either. So he just grabbed a pamphlet and left for home. It was fairly brisk outside being late October, trees almost leafless, the world painted in shades of orange and brown. He kind of enjoyed the crunching of dried leaves under his feet as he walked while reading over the pamphlet which pretty much went over what he heard at the info session he just left. He looked over things like the arrangement of the camps and new laws being put into place to protect normal humans and mystics alike. The pamphlet also went over that current laws will still affect everyone equally. In simple terms no mystics were allowed to harm normal folk and vica-versa.

Stephen sighed, "I wish I didn't chicken out back there. So much I could have asked. Like what kinds of mystics are out there. Granted her friend didn't seem to keen on people getting too close but... ugh, why did I have to chicken out back there?" The wind picked up a little as he walked home and mumbled to himself, causing him to shiver despite having a jacket on. "Brrr... glad they hosted in the school so I didn't have to walk far. Definitely gonna be a cold winter this year. Hope the shelters will be warm enough for those moving into that encampment." He said to himself quietly as he walked up to his house, pulling out his keys and opening the door.

A black husky/collie cross barked at him from atop the stairs. Stephen shook his head and rolled his eyes. "It's me, Lily. Quit your barking." he said to the dog. Lily simply sat there, wagging her tail, raising her paw at him as if expecting him to shake it. He chuckled and tossed his shows to the side, climbing up the stairs a little to scritch her behind the ears. "Such a big suck." He smiled, happily petting his dog before fully coming upstairs and peeking into the kitchen. "Hey mom, I'm home."

A woman in her mid 30's turned around, holding one of the plates she was drying. "Oh, hello Son. How did that meeting thing go." She said, resuming her dish drying.

"Oh, I think things were handled well enough. Community is kind of divided, though." said Stephen while rummaging through the cupboards.

"Hey! Go wash your hands before getting into anything." His mother gave him a stern look. He sighed and walked off to the bathroom which was close by. "Did they say where this beast encampment is gonna be?" She shouted at him from the kitchen.

"Mystic, not beast! And they made mention it'll be just outside the north-east end of the city. Not exactly a prime living spot if you ask me." Stephen shouted back, shutting off the water and drying his hands after washing them. He briefly stopped to look himself in the mirror. His dark brown hair was running long at the back again, just touching the collar of his grey sweater. His blue eyes gazed over his roundish face, frowning at the sight of his acne covered cheeks. He noted he also needed to shave those scraggly hairs he called a beard and mustache. He then turned away and walked back into the kitchen, grabbing a bag of chips. "Anyways, going downstairs to my room. Left a pamphlet for you and dad on the table. I'm assuming dad and Ryan are at work and Adam is at school, right?"

"Yes. They are all out. Means I got some peace and quiet for a while. Go and play your games, Steph. Just keep quiet down there." His mom finished up the dishes and walked towards the living room, sitting down on the couch and flicking on the TV, Lily hopping up onto the couch with her and curling up beside.

"I will, mom. And I don't game all the time, ya know." Stephen said exasperatedly as he walked downstairs and into the basement to his room on the other side. Closing the door behind himself he went straight for his computer and turned it on. It was true he was a bit of an addict when it came to video games, given his substantial hoard of them in both physical and digital forms, but he did find time to do other things. Right now gaming could wait as he opened up his chat programs to get in touch with his friends to discuss current events. He also checked some of the sites he frequented often to how much crazier things have gotten. Ever since the emergence event the entire internet has been abuzz with talk about mythical creatures. Everywhere from Facebook to Reddit had been flooded with discussions from how we should welcome mystics to the possible dangers to even how magick worked. On Twitter and Facebook things were even sillier with people starting up a metagame of "spot the mystic", an attempt to find any mystics currently using such services. Stephen thought this was pretty stupid though since anyone claiming to be open about their mythical heritage could easily be lying and any mystic not open about it could easily hide thanks to the anonymity of the internet.

Dav: Murrp!

Rav: Mrew

Stephen smiled, spotting the messages flashing on his screen. It was his friend Dafydd whom is called Dav for short, and his boyfriend Ravtrag. He guessed they just got back from the information gatherings in their respective areas. He typed back to them.

Mehl: Rawr!

To anyone who didn't know them, such a way to greet each other would seem strange, but to them it was almost routine. They all knew each other beyond the computer screen but online they were more free to express how they were inside. For the three were furries, people who liked to represent themselves as anthropomorphic animals, and otherkin, people who considered themselves tied to a non-human form spiritually, in their case the form being that of  a dragon. All three of them had an image of a dragon to represent themselves online as well. Dav's was that of a red, dog sized dragon with a gator-like snout. Rav's was a red eastern dragon with a flowing golden mane. As for Stephen... "she" represented herself as a golden female dragon named "Mehlahphuse". Why female is something Stephen couldn't explain even to himself. It just felt right to him. Together the three were as close as can be. Especially with Rav and himself, the two referring to each other as mates, loving each other very much both online and off. Stephen started typing again, wondering how his friend's days have gone thus far.

Mehl: Hey, guys. How did the information things go for you?

Rav: Mrrm, it was ok I guess. Was very crowded, though. Wish Mehls was there. -nuzzles my Mehl-

Mehl: Well, I told you that you could have joined me down here. -nuzzles back-

Dav: -nuzzles snouts- Things didn't go so well on my end. Nothing but people arguing and getting all paranoid. Too many religious jerks in the crowd. >.=.<

Mehl: Well, tis not like the camps are being placed out there anywhere near your town. Just in a really terrible spot outside of the city. Well, in my opinion anyways. >.=.>

Rav: It does seem kind of interesting that all this is happening so close to Halloween. Btw, Mehl, have you heard anything about a Halloween party from the local furs? Any postings on the forums or facebook at all?

Stephen pondered as he read Rav's response. It was true that the local furs hosted a Halloween party at the end of October each year normally. Though he had yet to hear anything about one this year. He took a quick look through facebook and forums but so far nothing was posted. But then it was still a bit early so likely things were still being planned out.

Mehl: Nothing posted yet. Then again it isn't that close to Halloween yet, hun. Still plenty of things likely needed to be prepared and planned out before someone hosts a party

Dav: Well, I'm sure we'll here from someone soon.

Mehl: Anyways, I'm gonna head out for a bit. Gotta do run some errands and gonna check out some shops. Will see you two later.

Dav: Ok, Mehl. See you later. -nuzzles-

Rav: Take care, love. -kisses-

Stephen smiled and logged off. He was glad to have a friend and mate like those two. He didn't know what life would be like without them. It always made him wonder how life would have been like for them if they had been born as their perceived dragon selves. But for now such thoughts would wait as he grabbed his things, put on his hoodie, and headed out towards the mall not too far from his home after letting his mother know he was leaving, once again taking in the brisk autumn air.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ugh, that bank line was waaaay to long." Stephen said as he made his way back home. He had just finished off his errands by paying off a couple things at the bank and spent almost thirty minutes waiting in line. On top of that there was all that mall noise he had to deal with. He was just to be done with it all and heading back home. "Had to choose today of all days to go to the mall. Just glad I can get back home before supper at least."

He walked down the street, passing by the many various shops along it. It was when he was close to home he saw an old man, likely in his 60's, unloading boxes off a moving truck and into a building that had burned down some years ago due to arson but was fortunately restored. From the looks of what the man was carrying into the building Stephen guessed he was opening an antique shop or something, seeing items poking out of some of the boxes that look expensive at least from where he stood. He was about to just walk off and continue home but he couldn't bring himself to not help the guy as some of those boxes he was carrying looked quite heavy and the man certainly wasn't in his prime. So Stephen decided he would offer to lend him a hand, walking towards the man and waving in greeting.

"Hello, sir. Could you use a ha-" Stephen was cut short by a large brown dog, about half the size of him, leaping at him from behind the doors to the shop, growling threateningly at him. Its pointed ears were lowered as it glared him, warning him to back away, a warning Stephen was happy to oblige as he started backing away slowly.

"Gygax! Calm down boy! That is no way to treat someone willing to help." The old man said to his dog, gently patting the dog's head, calming the beast. The dog leaned into the pets, but still watched Stephen warily. The man himself seemed to be going for the stereotypical wizard look, the man having a big white flowing beard adorning his face, long white hair on his head, and wearing flowing light blue robes. His brown eyes were soft and joyful as he smiled at the young man before him. "I see you are a kind passerby wishing to give an old man some help unpack his things, correct?"

"Well... uh... yeah. I saw you lifting those heavy boxes and I couldn't bring myself to just walk by without at least offering a hand." Stephen said, softly rubbing the back of his head nervously. "You setting up shop here, Mr....?"

"Please, call me Jergo. And yes I am. Just need to bring my wares inside and place them where they need to go and I'll be ready to open for business in no time." Jergo smiled proudly.

"Heh, sounds like you got yourself set up pretty fast. Would have thought it would have taken days to get a store like this all fixed up and cleaned before being able to bring your stuff in and open up shop. And I certainly hadn't even seen any sign of this place even being sold recently." Stephen said, lightly stroking his chin in thought.

Jego merely kept smiling, grabbing another box. "Oh, I have my resources.  Also helps to be a wizard too." The old man grinned and chuckled as he walked inside the store.

Stephen paused for a moment after hearing that, letting go of the box he was just about to take from the truck. "Hold on a sec! You are a wizard?" Stephen asked, confused by how upfront Jergo was about the subject. "First off, why would you go around telling people that? Aren't mystics the kind to not want to attract attention to themselves? Secondly, if you truly are a wizard can you prove it?" Though he knew now that magick and magi did exist he was still gonna have a hard time believing that anyone that outspoken about such things was what he or she claimed till proof was provided.

Jergo walked back out, still grinning from ear to ear. "To answer your first question, why should I hide it? Everyone knows that wizards and mythical creatures exist now. I don't see much point in lying anymore. Besides, I find that people will trust you more if you don't try to hide things from them. Not to mention I feel that if people knew this shop was being run by a wizard they'd be at least inclined to take a look out of curiosity. As for wanting proof..." The old man pondered for a sec, stroking his beard. He then got a twinkle in his eye as he looked like he had come up with an idea. "Why don't you help me finish unloading my wares and I'll prove that I am what I claim by showing you my specialty items I'll be putting up for sale."

"Specialty items, huh? Alright, you got me curious now. I'll get your stuff inside and then you show me this product of yours. Then we'll see how wizardly you are." Stephen smirked and picked up a box, bringing it inside.

It took them about half an hour but they soon got everything inside. Gygax didn't bother Stephen anymore after the initial warning the dog gave him earlier, simply laying about now in a quiet corner where he could keep an eye on things which made it easier for the young man to work. Stephen wiped the sweat from his forehead, a bit exhausted from the work. He then turned to the old merchant. "Alright, Jergo, time to hold your end of the deal. Lets see what is so special about these products you mentioned."

Jergo nodded and motioned for Stephen to follow him as he made his way into the back room. Once in the room Jergo walked up to a large wooden box which must have been brought inside before Stephen arrived as he did not recall seeing it inside the truck. The old man opened the box up and pulled out what looked like some sort of avian costume.

"That's it? Your special magical items are mundane costumes?" Stephen asked, not fully convinced as he inspected the costume a bit closer. It looked well made, he'd grant the so-called wizard that, but it didn't look magical at all.

Jergo's smile never faltered. "Oh ye of little faith, these aren't as normal as you'd think. Why don't you take this one and put it on in the washroom over there?" Jergo pointed to the washroom just to the left. "I promise you won't be disappointed with what you will see."

Stephen pondered for a moment before gently taking the costume into his hands. The material that covered the outer layer costume felt very soft and comforting to the touch. He swore this was starting to feel like some of the stories he had read in the past online, particularly those involving transformation. But he kept that knowledge to himself and took the suit into the washroom, closing the door behind himself. He took one more look at the costume. It appeared to be some form of anthropomorphic blue jay costume and it looked like it was one whole piece, all the limbs and head attached to the body with only a single zipper on the front. Holding it up and looking inside the suit did look like it could fit but it looked tight enough that he'd have to remove his clothes in order to slide inside. Deciding to get this over quickly he took off his close as fast as he could and started putting the suit on legs first. Surprisingly the suit was fitting on comfortably. He assumed it must have been a lucky guess on Jergo's part to find a suit that was his size, not realizing the suit was actually resizing itself to better fit around its wearer.

Soon enough Stephen was fully into the costume, grabbing the head of the suit and placing it over his own, the costume head fitting on nice and snug. After zipping the suit shut Stephen took the time to examine himself in the mirror. He found it amazing how clearly he could see through the eyes of the costume without seeing his own in the reflection. And the costume did look amazing on him, even if it did seem a bit effeminate, something he personally didn't mind but wouldn't really want others, save for a few, to see him like this. Still, there was nothing magical about this costume from as far as he could tell. With a shrug he moved to take off the suit to give back to Jergo... but found he couldn't find the zipper anywhere on his chest.

Stephen scratched at his chest in confusion. He was sure the zipper wasn't that well hidden when he put the suit on. In fact the suit felt fluffier than he originally thought it was. Looking down at himself he noticed that the material that made the outer layer of the costume looked more realistic than what he first perceived, like it as made from real feathers rather than fake ones. He knew it was fairly realistic looking before he put it on but it wasn't this realistic. At least, he thought it wasn't. Suddenly he started feeling strange sensations flow through his body. His mouth and lips felt a little stiff for some reason and he lost all feeling in his ears. On top of that he oddly felt thinner around her waist while his chest felt more pronounced. He looked down at his feet covered by the three-toed talons of the bird costume, feeling like he was missing a few toes of his own. He flexed his toes and was surprised by how well he could curl his toes, able to curl them almost like a real bird. While he did find what he was experiencing to be fascinating there was a nagging feeling in the back of his mind that something wasn't right here, that what he was seeing and feeling didn't match up to what he should be seeing and feeling. He quickly turned back to the mirror and almost gasped at what was staring right back at him. Instead of seeing himself in an effeminate looking anthro blue jay costume he found himself being stared back at a truly female anthro avian.

There was no mistaking the femininity of the avian in the mirror, long eyelashes adorning luscious blue eyes that blinked in timing with his own blinks,  body flowing into curves a supermodel would kill for, chest pushed out in almost a breast-like fashion. Looking over himself once more he noticed how slender his arms and legs looked, noting that his hips were also wider. He took one feathered hand which was looking almost like a full wing and brought it up to his chest, softly squeezing it, gasping softly at how real it felt to the touch, like he wasn't wearing a costume at all. His other hand brushed by the tail feathers of the suit and his eyes went wide in surprise as he felt his hand brush over the very tips of them. He decided to grab one and give it a tug, chirping a bit in pain as he tugged a bit hard. He quickly covered his beak as he realized he had just chirped, quickly turning to the mirror and moving his hands away, opening his beak to see he could see straight down his throat instead of seeing his human mouth like he should. He tried to tug at his suit to find another way to get it off but soon stopped as it felt like he was tugging at his own flesh rather than the costume itself. He quickly turned around and opened the door to the washroom to find Jergo standing just outside.

"Oh good, I was just about to knock to check if everything is alright. I presume you are enjoying the new look, yes?" The old man smiled brightly, looking pleased at what he saw.

"What is going on? Why does the costume feel so real? EEP!" Stephen covered his beak again after it too a second to realize how feminine his voice sounded. "And why do I sound like a girl?!?"

"Why I told you that I was a mage, didn't I? That costume there is one of many I've worked very hard to make over the years. It gives the wearer a more in-depth experience as what it is like to BE their costumes." Jergo said, sounding very proud of his creation.

"So your costumes turn people into what they are wearing?" Stephen asked, a little flustered and embarrassed by the situation he was in. While it was true he had fantasized about being female, given his dragon self was also female, he certainly wasn't gonna let this crazy old man know that.

"Well, depends on your definition on transformed." The mage said, walking around the avianized and feminized young man, his gaze making Stephen feel a little awkward. "See, you are technically still you under all those feathers. Rather it is the costume that transforms, becoming what the wearer perceives it would look like if the costume was their real bodies, consciously or subconsciously. It even alters their voice to what they perceive it would sound like if they were their costumes. As for the sensations I'm sure you are feeling, the magick of the costume makes it seem like every part of your body feels as real as it looks but in truth it is only the magick tricking your mind into thinking the sensations are real."

"But what about my eyes and my mouth? If this was still a costume shouldn't the eyes remain perfectly still and I should still be able to see my own mouth under the beak?" Stephen asked, pointing at his open beak.

"Well... ok, so there is a some minor alterations where the suits eyes and mouth will merge with the wearers. But it is only minor and adds to how real the suit looks. Plus it allows for the wearer to eat and drink while in suit. Also constantly staring blank eyes on a realistic body tend to creep people out."

"Yeah... I guess you got a point there. But what about the zipper? It vanished after I put the suit on!"

"Oh that? That is just an illusion. The zipper is still there. Just need to calm yourself and think of the zipper there. Then it shouldn't be too hard to find and you'll be out of the suit in no time."

"Oh... alright, I'll give it a try." Stephen said calmly and tried to focus, reaching up to where the zipper should be and thinking about it being there. Sure enough, the zipper re-appeared and he was able to grasp it. He was about to open the costume back up but quickly decided to do so in the bathroom, what with being naked underneath. He quickly unzipped himself, removing the suit from his body and, after inspecting himself to make sure he was still his normal self, put his clothes back on. He left the bathroom with suit in hand, the costume looking like it did before he put it on, and gave it back to Jergo.

"Alright, old man, you have convinced me. Though... wouldn't it been easier to just to show me a simple spell or something? Like shooting a small fireball from your hands?" 

Jergo smirked, "My boy, such a thing is dangerous and has been mostly improbable for most mages to cast such instantaneously for over a thousand years. We've all kinda fell out of practice due to having to hide for so long. There isn't a mage that I personally know of these days with such talent, and there isn't too many of us anymore. Besides, where would the fun be in that?" He chuckled and put the costume back into the box.

"Well, couldn't you have at least chosen a male costume for me instead?" Stephen asked, frowning and crossing his arms.

The mage looked at the young man and grinned. "Didn't you listen to what I said earlier? The costume becomes what the wearer perceives it to be. Beyond that all my costumes are genderless."

Stephen felt his cheeks grow hot as his face turned bright red, realizing exactly now what the mage had meant by that. He quickly checked his watch and lightly coughed into his hand. "Well...umm... unless there is anything else you need help with I think I shall be going now as it'll be dinner soon and I'd hate to miss that. Do take care now, Mr. Jergo sir." Stephen said and hastily walked towards the store exit.

Jergo smiled and followed Stephen to the exit. "Yes, well thank you so much for helping me and please do come by again sometime. Maybe bring a friend or two. You seem like an interesting individual and I can sense you have a kind heart. I could always use a hand once in a while and perhaps if you so desired you could try on another costume or two. Though after a while I would like it if you would buy one." He chuckled and waved goodbye to the young man as he walked away down the street.

Stephen stopped for a moment and felt a small smile creep along his face, despite still feeling a bit embarrassed. He turned back around and waved goodbye to Jergo. "I'll keep it in mind to stop by once in a while. See you around, Jergo, and thanks for the demonstration." He said happily before resuming his journey back home, wondering what tomorrow will bring in this changed world he lived in.

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 09:01:07 PM
This is looking good so far. I admit it's not the most original or compelling setting, but it's still fun and you've got a good set up here for future-Mehl. [;) I once again would advise you to give this another good editing pass, as you've got quite a number of misspellings here as well. But I am definitely looking forward to reading the next part. Keep at it!

[fox] Virmir

Mehlahphuse

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 08:28:18 AM
Well, Chapter 2 is finally done. Took me too long to do this one. Stupid distractions and motivation killers! Anyways, enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 2: The Party

The door chimes rang as Stephen walked through the shop door of “Mystic Curiosities”. He was surprised as he walked in that there was a handful of customers browsing Jergo's wares. It had only been a couple weeks since the shop opened and already word was spreading around quickly about the new store being run by a mage. He still felt the name of the store could use a little work but then he wasn't any better at naming things himself so who was he to judge. Still it was nice to see Jergo getting some business despite the fears some people may have about the magical folk they were just starting to learn about. He even saw a couple people asking the mage at the counter about Jergo's costumes. Stephen smirked as he remembered his first time wearing one. He quietly wondered if the guy and gal asking about them knew what they were getting into, quietly chuckling at the thought of the two being surprised by the effects of the suits they tried on if they hadn't done so already. Stephen waited off to the side beside Gygax who looked up at the young man and woofed quietly as if to say hello. The big dog had started to grow comfortable around him after a few more visits, though not enough to let Stephen pet him which he resisted the temptation to. After dealing with a couple of costumers who decided to purchase the two werewolf costumes they were asking about Jergo started to politely usher people out the door so he could take a lunch break. Once everyone had left Jergo put up an 'out to lunch' sign and locked the door.

“Glad you made it Stephen. Shall we go downstairs and have some tea?” Jergo asked, turning to Stephen and smiling calmly.

“Water for me thanks. I'm not really a coffee or tea drinker. Just glad to be out of the house today.” Stephen said, smiling softly himself though there was a little unease on his face.

“Troubles at home?” Jergo asked, stroking his beard lightly. Stephen swore it was bigger then last time he saw him.

“Just butting heads a little with my dad... well, step-dad. He's not too trusting of mystics even though he has never met one personally. And when he caught wind of my last visit here we got into a bit of an argument about whether or not it was safe to come here or not. Needless to say I'm pretending to be having lunch with friends right now at the mall.” Stephen said with a bit of a frown. “Granted he can't control me since I'm an adult but I still live under his roof and I rather not have him making my life any harder then it is.”

Jergo simply nods in response. “Well, I can guess how he might feel. We mages and other mystics are completely foreign beings to someone like him. Many of us are quite strong and some of us have talents that are hard for “normals”, as you so eloquently put it the other day, to understand. It is only natural to fear what one doesn't understand. However...” Jergo smiled at Stephen “I do hold hope that there will be those that won't judge without first learning more. People like you who are willing to try on magical costumes made by crazy old mages without knowing the consequences.” He grinned and chuckled.

Stephen rolled his eyes and smirked. “Are you gonna keep teasing me about that old man. Starting to make me regret ever trying that costume on in the first place.” Of course he was only joking around as since then he had been allowed to try on a few more costumes including an armadillo, a crocodile, and a peacock.

“Well, I'm just saying that you might be a bit too trusting sometimes. One can't be too careful in this day and age. Not every mage is as kind or as experienced as I am.”

“I know that. I'm not one to just put on some magic accessory or chug some potion given to me by someone I just met. The only reason why I put that bird costume on when we first met is cause... well I felt I could trust you. I have a bit of a sense for these sort of things.” Stephen said, rubbing the back of his head lightly.

Jergo softly stroked his beard and smiled softly. “Hmm... sounds like you have a gift of empathy, the ability to psychically sense the emotions of others and to sense their aura on an emotional level.”

“Oh, I wouldn't say that. I am just observant and usually have a good sense of these sort of things.” Stephen said, smiling bashfully. “I wouldn't say I have any special talents. I'm just a boring average guy.”

“Perhaps you are right but don't go selling yourself short. I wouldn't call you boring in the slightest.” Jergo said and softly patted the young man on the shoulder. “You are too modest with yourself sometimes. We all have our own special talents. Just some are harder to recognize then others.”

“Kinda generic advice to be giving for a wizard.” Stephen said with a smirk. “Come on. Lets go downstairs and have that tea already.”

After tea Stephen helped Jergo clean the table and placed the dishes by the sink. Though he insisted on just having water Jergo did manage to convince him to drink some of his tea and to the old man's credit the tea was good. He never used to drink tea before but whatever Jergo put into his homemade blend was more then good enough for the young man to enjoy having it with the kindly old wizard. However there were thoughts burning in the young man's mind. He had read about veil since the emergence and that it was used to transform them into humans temporarily as a form of disguise. It made him wonder... if veil was used to make mystics into humans for a short time could it do something to humans as well? He turned to Jergo who was busily wiping the table clean of any crumbs left behind from the biscuits they had.

“Hey Jergo... I was wondering... is there any form of veil that could transform a human into something else?” He asked.

“Why in fact there is other forms of veil beyond the ones used for human disguises. Such magic is the foundation of my costume work in fact. Why do you ask?”

“I'm curious as transformation is something of an interest of mine.” Stephen said a bit shyly. “Just the thought of becoming another creature fascinates me. Sure your costumes are great at capturing that but I want to truly become another being. At least for a while anyways. Is it possible?”

Jergo stroked his beard. “It is possible though I'm gonna prune that fantasy of yours a wee bit and warn ya that a full on physical transformation is not a pleasant one. In fact it is a painful experience though there are veil makers such as myself that have found a way to reduce or numb the pain induced by changing forms. Still, if you manage to get past that then experiencing life in the shoes or paws of another species can be a thrilling experience. I myself have divulged in transforming myself in my younger years. Definitely not ready to experience the discomfort of shifting again anytime soon though.” He chuckled and gave the table one last swipe of the cloth.

Stephen nodded quietly as he took note about the pain aspect of transforming. Such still wasn't quite enough to deter him. “So if I wanted to become... say... a dragon for instance all I'll need is a veil potion tailored to that?”

Jergo looked up at Stephen looking like he almost ate part of his bushy beard before frowning slightly. “I'm sorry, Stephen, but I'm afraid such a veil is beyond my talents and most others. Such a transformation is dangerous for almost all humans and even many mystics to undertake.”

“How come? What makes becoming a dragon different from becoming any other species?”

“It is a dragon's innate magical nature that makes such a transformation a very difficult task. Dragons have a very unique physiology what with their ability to breath fire, their incredible lifespans, and the fact that they never stop growing as they age. Or at least no one has been around to record a definitive end to their growth. They aren't exactly the easiest species to study nor the most willing to divulge such information. Anyways cause of their magical nature that allows them to breath fire and even fly at the grand sizes they can reach such a transformation can prove fatal.”

“So becoming a dragon is impossible then?” Stephen said in a disappointed tone.

“I wouldn't say impossible as it has been done in the past. It is just difficult as it isn't the end result of the change but the transition that is problematic. Getting the body to produce the magic required to sustain such a form too soon or too late is deadly. Course it is easier to cause such a change in already innately magical beings. Again it has been done before with mages and even some normal humans back in the old times of magic and myth but it is something that I cannot do. Hpwever if you are willing to wait I would come up with a dragon costume for you. Much easier and safer way to become a dragon I assure you.”

“No, it is alright. No need to trouble yourself over me.” Stephen said and smiled even though on the inside he was greatly disappointed that there was no way for Jergo to change him into a dragon except for making him a costume, and even that would only be an illusion. Even if it wasn't the dragon form he believed himself to be on the inside just truly being one in general would be a dream come true. Still, Jergo did say it was still possible. “Do you know of any other mages that can make such a veil?”

“No I do not and I strongly urge you not to go looking for such.” Jergo said with a stern tone. “Many have sought for such a potion and were deceived by con artists who gave them vials of essentially nothing. Others were tricked by malevolent mages who gave them potions that transformed their victims into something less desirable or even killed them. Many a mage have also used others with such desires secretly as guinea pigs to test their dragon veil formula to see if it worked, offering such a potion to beings desiring such a form only to watch them parish as the potion failed. I know you are a smart lad so I strongly urge you to take my advice and at least do not go searching for mages who can create dragon veil without running them through me first. I can help you rule out any deception and IF a competent mage is found then we can arrange a safe environment for such to be tested and used.”

“Alright I won't go and do anything without your approval first.” Stephen said and smiled. Perhaps there was hope to become a dragon after all. Hen then glanced at his watch to check the time. “Well I should get going. I did tell my folks I was just out for lunch and I do wish to check with my friends online if any events are happening for Halloween.”

“Ah, good Ol' Hallows Eve. You know I was growing my beard out for the holiday. Going as Gandalf The Grey. Think I look the part?” Jergo chuckled as he lightly stroked his beard.

Stephen couldn't help but chuckle too. “I think you fit the part of any wizard character. Though one would think you would try something more original. I mean you are a wizard who wants to go out as another wizard.”

“Honestly just couldn't think of other costume ideas this year. Plus Gandalf is my favorite wizard from literature. Very wise and even capable of taking on beasts greater then himself at such an age. Truly a grand wizard to be sure.”

“Well as long as you don't expect me to be Frodo you can be whoever you want for Halloween.” Stephen smirks and they both had a laugh at that. Shortly after they finished cleaning the area they said their goodbyes and Stephen left the shop as Jergo opened it back up again.

Once home Stephen locked the door behind him only to turn around and find his step-dad looking down at him from upstairs.

“So, where did you go son?” he asked calmly with a stern look on his face.

“I just went to the mall and had something at the food court there with my friends. Why do you want to know.”

“Really? Cause your brother said he saw you walk into that shop I told you to avoid.” His voice grew more stern and his gaze was almost strong enough to bore through Stephen's head.

Stephen nearly swore out loud. He should have known one of his younger brothers would do something to get him in trouble. It was clear that there was no point in lying so he simply stood tall and looked his step-dad straight in the eye with a stern look of his own. “Fine! I was at Jergo's store. But I wasn't lying when I said I was with a friend.”

“You just met the man. You don't know anything about him. He could be dangerous. That is why I want you to stay away from him.”

“You're right, I don't know anything about him. And I won't know unless I try to learn more about him from him. And from what I've learned from him so far is that he is a kind wizard who wants to make the lives of others more enjoyable and magical. Is that a crime?” Stephen crossed his arms, returning his father's glare.

“He could be dangerous. For all you know he could be using people for experiments or changing people into monsters in is spare time.”

“First, you are being overly dramatic which is certainly not fitting of you “dad”. Second, the most transforming he does is selling potions which lets mystics be human for a while so they can better live among us and sell costumes which gives the ILLUSSION of transformation.” Stephen replied, making sure his step-dad got the emphasis on 'illusion'. “May I also add that I've tried some of those costumes on and they are awesome. It feels wonderful to feel like you are something else for a while. Honestly, you should drop by the store yourself if only to put your ridiculous fears to rest.”

“You let yourself be transformed?!?” His step-dad gasped, eyes growing wide.

“Not transformed. The costumes make you look and feel like you are the costume without actually transforming you. Jergo can better explain it then I can but in simplest terms I am still human underneath the costume. Now if I drank a potion designed to change me...”

“I've heard quite enough from you, young man!” His step-dad shouted, face turning slightly red. “I don't want to hear anymore about Jergo or transformation or anything of the sort in this house again! And if I catch you going to his shop again or if you DARE come to my house as anything other then human you can go live with that old loon down the street as you won't be welcome in this house anymore!” And with that he turned away and went out of sight into the living room.

Stephen was fuming at this point, his hands clenched into fists and cheeks feeling hot with anger. “FINE! If that is how it is then perhaps I will live with him! Better then living with an ignorant old fart like you!” He shouted upstairs before storming off to his room and slamming his door, not giving his step-dad a chance to respond. He leaned against the door for a bit as he tried to calm himself down. “Why does he have to be such an ass? I should just show up at the door as a dragon or something just to give him a good piece of my mind.” He said to himself as he fumed. He then turned his attention to his PC which he walked over towards and turned on. He decided to hit up facebook and check to see if any events have been posted. That should help him get his mind of family problems for the moment.

After Stephen logged in he noticed he had a message from one of the local furs. It was an invite to a Halloween party this coming weekend. He smiled as he was waiting for an event like this to pop up and was amused by the title of the event, “Furs Made Real”. Course when he started reading the description of the event his amusement shifting into surprise at the mention that a mage would be involved in the event and that she would be providing potions for as many that wants them to become whatever creature they desire. Stephen was skeptical about all this but he soon noticed a video was attached to the event description and gave it a watch. It showed the person who posted the vid drinking back a potion and unbelievable becoming an anthropomorphic armadillo right before the camera. It certainly wasn't an easy thing to watch what with the man's body morphing into grotesque shapes during the transformation as well as his groans and cries of pain before the changes ceased. He was convinced at least that whoever this mage was she certainly had the power to transform others as there was no movie or computer effect on earth that could have matched what he had just saw on screen.

Stephen's heart started to beat a little faster. If she could develop potions that could turn people into whatever they desired, even anthropomorphic creatures of their own creation, then perhaps it wasn't too far fetched that she could make him and his friends into their more feral draconic selves too. He furiously wrote a private message to the poster of the event to get more details about this mage and her potions while also opening up skype to let his friends know about the party. Stephen was so excited about the whole thing that he forgot about his conversation with Jergo to talk to him before getting himself into trouble. After talking with his friends and managing to convince them to come he began his own preparations for the party. One he was sure he wasn't gonna forget anytime soon.

“Are you sure about this, Mehl? I mean we've role played transforming into our dragon selves online but this... I'm not sure if this. It is kind of a big thing to go through.” Said Rav as they found a spot to park. Stephen, Dav, and Rav had finally arrived to their destination after a good hours drive away from the city. The party was taking place at an old abandoned farm in the outskirts of town. It was a great spot to have such a party since here they would be able to get away with drinking transformation potions without worry about bumping into people who would freak out if they saw people changing before their eyes. Not to mention that if Stephen and his friends were going to become dragons they would need all the space they could get.

“Hey, if you are uncomfortable drinking some TF potion then no one will force you too. But I for one am not gonna miss my chance to truly become 'Mehl'. If I don't do this I'll end up spending the rest of my life regretting going not through with this.” Stephen said as he opened the door to his side and hopped out. He smiled with amazement as he looked over the field full of party goers. There was already a large group of people who looked like they had taken the plunge as there was a lot of anthro creatures of various species dancing to the heavy beat blaring across the field from the barn. It was like he stepped into a dream and didn't want to wake up from it.

“Mrrmm... I still don't like the fact that you said it was painful. But I wouldn't mind being my dragon self as long as it didn't hurt that much.” Dav said as he looked around. “Geeze, I thought I'd recognize at least one of these people but none of them look familiar like this.”

"I'm sure we'll find someone we know among them all.  Not everyone transformed so there should be a familiar face in the crowd. " Stephen said, looking around for anyone they knew amongst the party goers.

The three began to mingle with the crowd, eventually finding friends among the transformed partiers. Each of them asked how was the transformation and how their bodies felt now. Each person they asked giving them relatively the same response of that it was pretty painful at first but once the transformation was complete it was the best experience in the world. Stephen was going to ask where the mage who was  behind the transformations when he felt a light tap on the shoulder from a long nailed finger which made him jump in surprise.

"I believe you boys must be the 'dragons three' I've heard so much about. I have been looking for you."

All three of them turned towards the source of the voice.  The woman standing before them stood at about 6 feet in height and had flowing raven hair. She wore what Stephen perceived to be a traditional gypsy garb,  her body covered in dark violet silks and what first appeared to be gold jewels and chains but inspecting the outfit a little longer showed it all to be plastic. Stephen guessed the outfit was just a costume. Still, the woman had an unearthly air about her. She didn't appear threatening but something about her was creeping him out.

"Yes, we are the dragon trio." Rav said, finally breaking the silence. "I'm Rav and this is Dav and Mehl. Who are you?"

"My name is Eris. A pleasure to meet you three." Eris said with a smile. " I'm sure you have been told that there was going to be a mage at this event correct?"

"Yes we were. You telling us you are that mage?" Stephen asked.

"Why yes I am. And I've been hoping to meet you three. From what I've been told you three have a strong interest in dragons.  Have I heard correctly?"

Stephen nodded, "Yes you have. And we heard you had the talent to change us into dragons. Is this true? I've heard it couldn't be done."

Eris chuckled and smiled softly. "Such takes a mage of grand skill and knowledge of arts long forgotten due to years of hiding. And I am such a sorceress. I have delved into the magics of old a dared to perform magics most are afraid to learn. But now I am boasting and that isn't proper of me now is it?"

"So you can do it? Change us into dragons I mean?" Stephen asked. His heart was pounding in excitement but he tried his best to keep calm and collected.

"But of course. I have the potions all ready. Your host graciously informed me about you three in advance and... well, I was so excited for such a request. Such hasn't been done in ages. I was more then happy to create such potions. And for free as well. The fame I'll most surely receive after this event will more then make up for the cost of materials for sure." Eris said sounding very sure of herself. As if pulling them out of thin air, the sorceress produced three vials filled with a red liquid. "These are your keys to dragonhood, my dears. Use them well. Now, if you'll excuse me I must get ready for the excitement to come soon." She smiled at them and passes them the vials before walking off into the crowd.

The three friends glanced at one another and then at the vials in their hands. They knew once they drank the liquid inside there would be no turning back but at the same time they were told over the Facebook post the effects should only last a couple hours. Still it was a big decision to make.

"You guys sure about going through with this?" Rav asked, his nervousness very apparent.

They stood there in silence for about a minute until Stephen finally spoke up. "Look, I won't blame you if you want to back out of this but I'm going through with it. As I said earlier I'll regret it for the rest of my life if I backed out now."

Rav looked at his vial once more and then smiled softly. "If we're going to do this we should do this together. Besides, can't have my mate have all the fun." He playfully nudged Stephen causing both of them to giggle.

"I'm going to change too. Just hope these potions change us into our dragon selves. Even if anthro. Though I'd rather be non-anthro or at least something in-between." Dav said.

"Doubt they will,  Dav, since looking around no one else seems to have taken on the form of their personal fursona or anything." Stephen said as he looked around at the crowd. Besides being anthros there was no one in the crowd that had any markings or anything that made them truly stand out like most of the local furs' sonas would have. "Not to mention everyone in the party seems to have gone anthro. I do hope we become full quadrupedal dragons but we may end up anthro like everyone else. Still, the chance to be any type of dragon is better then not being one at all. So, you guys ready?" He asked as he pulled the stopper off the vial he was holding.

"Ready as I'll ever be."

"Mmm... ready."

"Ok... down the hatch!" All three of them quickly poured the potion down their throats and gagged a little. The liquid tasted vile going down, like drinking rotten tomato juice. Stephen was starting to regret not asking how the potion tasted when he started to feel oddly warm and tingly all over. "Guys... I think it is working. Any of you feel anything?"

"I'm feeling a little warm. Dav, you feel weird at all?"

"I'm starting to feel warm too. I just hope this doesn't hurt too much."

"Yah, I hope so toARGH!" Stephen cried out in pain and clutched his sides. The warmth he felt had built of into a fiery heat. It felt like his body was burning up. His friends' cries of agony soon followed as they crumpled to the ground. Their skin started to smoke as they seemed to be burning up from the inside. Something was horribly wrong. Stephen knew this was going to be painful but it shouldn't have felt like this. He looked up from the ground and tried to call for help when screams erupted from the crowd and the music abruptly stopped. His vision was a little hazy but he could make out the transformed anthros beginning to go wild. They were attacking each other and the non-non-transformed party goers, acting like feral beasts. Why was this happening? Stephen looked around more as he writhed in burning pain in an attempt to find Eris but she was no where in sight. Was this all a trick? Was Eris only here to cause them pain? And if so why? Why was this happening to them? More and more he regretted not talking to Jergo beforehand. And now all his friends are either burning up from the inside or tearing each other apart like rabid animals. He closed his eyes, wishing this was all just a bad dream. That everything would just stop.

"Please...make it stop..."

A new feeling welled up inside Stephen. It was different from the burning. Like a pressure building up in his chest.

"Make it stop....make it stop...."

The pressure increased, growing stronger, making him feel like he was about to burst.

"MAKE IT STOP!"

He felt like his entire body burst as the world turned white for a few moments before fading slowly to black.

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 11:14:10 PM
Sephen strikes me as pretty silly for listening to a lecture about not trusting people who offer dragon TFs from the wizard, whom he trusts, and then immediately going for it from someone he gets bad vibes from. Obviously his father told him not to go see the wizard again, but it doesn't sound like he cares about what his father has to say. You may want to spend some more time on why he doesn't go seek advice, such as playing up his excitement and perhaps have him think about going back to the wizard for advice, but dismissing the idea.

That said-- yay TF! Looking forward to what happens next!

[fox] Virmir