Author Topic: Where I have vanished to for the last 2 weeks  (Read 5433 times)

Tizocoatl

• Ambystoma Mexicanum
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
  • Axolotl. axe-o-loh-tal say it with me people...
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
on: November 14, 2013, 08:48:37 AM
you're probably wondering where i have been for the last 2 weeks and also where the halloween group picture is. and i have some bad news...

no amount of sadface emoticons can convey how i feel about this. My 4 year old Wacom tablet has died.

Rest In Peace, Tablet

this is terrible news because i have no way to finish any of my half-completed pictures, including the Halloween one.

I noticed that the pen input was getting a bit jerky recently, but i had no idea the whole digitizer would break, so the wednesday before halloween the thing just stopped taking pen input. so now i'm down one $400 tablet that i can't afford to replace.

you guys may not see much art from me for a while as i try and save up enough money for a new one. i may try and upload some pencil sketches but i have no scanner and i'm worthless with any sort of real media besides pencils so i can't do any requests or commissions for a bit. i have a little less than half the price of the tablet covered already but this could take me a few more months so I may end up just waiting until christmas. either way i'm really sorry i can't finish the halloween piece or any other art for people right now.

just figured i'd let everyone know...

In other news:

i will probably start doing more of my pixel art since i can do it with a mouse instead of my tablet. if I need to, i may open up pixel art commissions to pay for the replacement.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:55:05 AM by Tizocoatl »

Loop-Dee-Loop-Dee-Loopity-Doop

Nixuelle

• A Quiet Scientist
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Life without knowledge is death in disguise.
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:12:21 PM
Sorry to hear that, Tizo!

Have you considered an alternative to a Wacom tablet? Honestly, I believe them to be grossly overpriced.

For instance, I use an Adesso Cybertablet Z12 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=908868&is=REG&A=details&Q=), and have found it be more than adequate for digital drawing. It has a 10 x 6.25" active drawing area, 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity, and several programmable pen-button areas. All for under $70, too. Might be worth looking into if the $400 price tag is daunting.

InsertWittyUsernameHere

• Potato
  • Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 03:33:40 PM
Aww, that sucks. [:(

Quote from: Doctor Who
And this is my Timey-Wimey detector. It dings when there's stuff. Also, it can boil an egg at thirty paces...whether you want it to or not.

-Tenth Doctor

Tizocoatl

• Ambystoma Mexicanum
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 04:20:32 PM
Sorry to hear that, Tizo!

Have you considered an alternative to a Wacom tablet? Honestly, I believe them to be grossly overpriced.

For instance, I use an Adesso Cybertablet Z12 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=908868&is=REG&A=details&Q=), and have found it be more than adequate for digital drawing. It has a 10 x 6.25" active drawing area, 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity, and several programmable pen-button areas. All for under $70, too. Might be worth looking into if the $400 price tag is daunting.

Thanks for the recommendation, Blue. I was also shopping around looking at some of the Monoprice tablets as well. I will add this one to the list and try to compare them. I may be able to get one sooner than i thought.

Zeo Fawx

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 06:09:18 PM
I'm sorry to hear about this. I literally just posted on the Halloween picture section, before I noticed this. I'm sure you can find one for a good price. Your tablet might have been $400 four years ago, but I'm sure they have come down since.

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 08:01:42 PM
Wow! I had no idea those things cost so much. To compare, I paid about $400 for my used Thinkpad x61 tablet PC two years ago. If you're looking to spend that kind of money, you may want to consider looking into some older tablet PC models to use for drawing-only. It's a world of difference compared to drawing on a slate tablet.

[fox] Virmir

Tizocoatl

• Ambystoma Mexicanum
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 08:40:17 PM
Wow! I had no idea those things cost so much. To compare, I paid about $400 for my used Thinkpad x61 tablet PC two years ago. If you're looking to spend that kind of money, you may want to consider looking into some older tablet PC models to use for drawing-only. It's a world of difference compared to drawing on a slate tablet.

i've been eyeing a thinkpad for a while but i was just about to invest in a new laptop so i'll have to check the price