Author Topic: Mystic Empyran: Forum-Based RPG Scenario  (Read 15556 times)

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 01:48:34 PM
Ren waves his arms wildly to keep his precarious balance as Bridge suddenly ducks. Too bad Bridge doesn't have antlers today... those would have been super handy to hold onto and as a result he grabs wildly at empty air and just tumbles off, rolling a bit before popping up while the other kid Silvar nervously asks about wild animals. As Hikaru starts lecturing about them though, Ren gets bored and just kind of wanders off halfway into the lecture, skipping into view of the other guy to go talk to him. Maybe he'll be more interesting!

"Hello Mr. Broken Wagon Man! Do you require a-sis-tance?" he asks in an almost singsong voice, rocking back and forth once he gets close enough. "Looks like something hit you pretty hard... bet you'd like a friend in case it comes back!"

(And this is where the spoiler text would go, but since Ren wandered off on his own it might be a bit different unless the other people in the party realize Ren is missing when Hikaru says "Well, then. Someone ask the poor man if we can help!" and they walk into view and already see Ren halfway there or even already talking to the guy.)

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Feartiger

• Dream Dweller
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 05:55:36 AM
Silvar was on even higher alert after hearing Hikaru's explanation and tugged at Bridges sleeve when he realized Ren was gone." Uh... Sir. I think we're missing someone." He commented with his tail tucked between his legs as he looked around. It took him awhile to spot the other kid halfway to the cart owner. "I suppose there's no point in hiding anyway." He reluctantly followed Ren to the cart at a slow pace since the owner would probably be less likely to attack children.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:03:30 AM by Feartiger »

Debra

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 09:19:45 PM
Bridge looks up suddenly at Silvars words and sees Ren already most of the way to the carts owner. When Silvar steps forward to follow bridge is quick to follow, biting back the urge to put his younger charge behind him in case a second shot comes and instead walking beside him, watching the reaction of the stranger with the rifle warily.

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 02:24:55 PM
Ren bounces up and down a few times, already looking over the broken part of the wagon as the man gives his expectation. "Tirelt, huh? Haven't heard that one before... No, we just are who we are!" He summons a sparrow or two to his hand as they fly in from the nearby forest, though a keen observer might notice they hadn't been there a moment before. In the process he grows some feathers in his hair and his fingers become more talon-like as he sends them back into the woods in case the prakk come bakk. I guess that counts as light based trying to discover a hidden enemy. If able I guess he'll also try to fix the cart if no one else starts doing that first. I can't remember what 'fix a device' counts as, but since he's not trying to *make* it, it's not fire.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Snow

• View Profile
Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 09:58:30 AM
There's no sign of the monsters, so you can focus on trying to help repair the merchant's cart, to his surprise and wary approval. What is your Water score for "Adapt/Rearrange/Improvise Something"? You're not able to work with metalworking tools to forge/cast new parts or anything like that, and the damage is largely to wood. Roll d10+2, and try to get >10 on any of (Water stat) rolls. And yes, that's a high bar to meet. Nitar just isn't an auspicious place to fix things; they must tend to throw things out. (Water and Stone are the low stats, Fire/Air/Light the high ones... until you reach the steam tunnels.)

New fantasy book series: "Wavebound". The story of the novice Goddess of Water! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D3SW5WP

Feartiger

• Dream Dweller
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 03:34:44 AM
Silvar blushed hard when he heard the last part of what the cart owner had said upon seeing them, he vaguely remembered his father mentioning Kinado but had never really made the connection. He really wanted to help now so he walked around the cart to survey the damage but his lack of confidence got the better of him after the first pass. He took a deep breath to try to calm himself before looking at the others."I don't think I'll be of any help but I'll be sure to watch closely so I know what to do next time I come across something like this." He managed to stammer out before drooping his head in disappointment.

Snow

• View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 07:37:17 PM
Okay... We basically did a full round of actions. To move things along, I'll just make a random draw for possible scene escalation and... WHAT IS THAT.

Suddenly, a gang of men with steampunk guns and bandanas rushes out from the city gates, knocking aside the people waiting by the guardpost to enter! The half-dozen men in blue have hostages: four well-dressed men and women who are yelping for help. They seem to be trying to flee to the woods, or maybe to a railway yard.

Rotate! Quick, Stormkit, take the GM hat! Next to act is Feartiger!

New fantasy book series: "Wavebound". The story of the novice Goddess of Water! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D3SW5WP

Feartiger

• Dream Dweller
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 02:30:27 AM
(*Sneaks off at the realization that he might have to be GM later on*)

Snow

• View Profile
Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 11:46:22 AM
Does that mean you quit? Had you read the sample booklet's rules?

Feartiger

• Dream Dweller
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 11:58:15 AM
(Ya it means I quit. Like I said in the chat I only skimmed through the booklet.)

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 12:39:11 PM
With Feartiger withdrawn, Snow and I have talked this over and we're closing this down because it's been slow and unwieldy all around. It may survive in some manner or format... but this system just really doesn't work so well in a thread based setting.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Snow

• View Profile
Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 12:43:03 PM
After discussion with Feartiger and Stormkit, I'm calling it quits on this experiment. Stormkit and I agree that the forum format just doesn't work for this game system due to the large amount of player interaction it requires, but would be interested in trying it in IRC or a similar real-time format.

Rocks fall, everyone dies! [fox]