Author Topic: Proposed Game: "Rym: Second Sunlight" [High Fantasy, TF][Rules-Light]  (Read 22388 times)

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
Yes, the decision was tonight.We never really picked a time, but I'm going to try for 8, if not earlier. I'll be more 'here' than I was Sunday since I know we're doing a thing rather than just 'might' so that won't happen again.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Snow

• View Profile
I've been having trouble putting effort into the game lately, as you've noticed. A lot of the trouble is that I've been doing NaNoWriMo and putting my creative energy into that, rather than gaming or drawing. (Or studying. =p ) But as Stormkit suspected, I'm kind of losing interest in the game, too. So, this note airs the reasons for that. Note that none of the reasons is "I don't like playing with you!" I've had fun with you guys and am grateful that you'd put up with me.

-It's a rerun. Thought it'd be fun to see how a different party would react to the same campaign, and it was, but it was also a finished story, and now from my perspective we're pretty much telling it again. It's less interesting to see the second time.
-Whoa, that long? The first run-through took over two years, I think. I'm having trouble committing to another really long campaign from "level 0 orphans" to "saving the world from an entire alien race", particularly a rerun. Defending the Abbey, visiting the secretive coastal city, sailing to Cekus, battling pirates, and activating an ancient cathedral is, like, Act I.
-My character. So far Leon bores me and pretty much fails at everything. Last time my thinking was "I'll make a wallflower PC so that I can play along without overshadowing the other players; he'll be able to offer advice but not take the lead." That worked out fine, and over the course of the game she (!) got to be pretty interesting. This time I went the wallflower route again, forbidding myself to pick the same species or element, but this PC has little personality to me yet. The taur thing hasn't really come into play in any way either, and is awkward because it's at best a very rare race in the setting and I'm not trying to make all the NPCs look at me. (Last time I went lutrai, which are rare outside Cekus except as slaves but still well known. Also they're Ollie's pet Mary Sue race.)
-Unloved by Fate. This time we're using Fate instead of basically freeform play, and I'm apparently pretty bad at setting the difficulty level. Also I just plain roll badly. [fox] One thing I've been interested in exploring is army-scale battles, and I'm not sure Fate's any good for that.
-Sole GM. Last time, I traded the GM hat off to other players, so we had 3-4 people doing quests and such. That started after I'd run for a while to establish the premise. This time it's just been me, so that probably contributes to my burnout and flat PC.
-Small party size. Well, not much smaller, but we did have 4 players (counting me) last time. We lost one in a nasty disagreement that went from annoyance over roleplaying to worrying for the player's actual health. We picked up and lost other players here and there but kept a core group of me and two others. With just 2-plus-GM players from the outset, there's less going on.

I'm not sure what to conclude here, other than that it's been fun to play with you and I'm open to suggestions.

New fantasy book series: "Wavebound". The story of the novice Goddess of Water! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D3SW5WP

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
Well it was certainly fun while it lasted. I think that overall we may have been just better off doing a different setting with a similar theme. I think what may have dragged you down the most however, is that you were the GM. You knew pretty much exactly how this whole campaign was going to inevitably go. I think this would have greatly benefitted by letting Fax and I in on a bit of the big picture and giving us the GM hat now and again. Not only would this have given you a break from running the show, having a second (or third) GM involved in campaign creation can vastly diverge the scope of the campaign from what you would have come up with on your own. If you'd like to try again, I'd be fine with sharing the GM burden for some other campaign (perhaps in a different setting), even if that means doing it off CF so we can get a larger player pool.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.