Author Topic: Web comic artist needed! ASAP!  (Read 7041 times)

Lopez

• Resident (Human) Analyzer
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Your friendly local Human Representative
    • View Profile
on: November 29, 2009, 08:19:02 PM
So, I got this killer idea for a comic. But, as you know, I'm currently busy finishing that OTHER comic on this board. So, in short, I'm a web comic writer, and I need a web comic artist.

I say I need this ASAP because ideas can leave me reaaaally fast, and by the time I finish up my other comic (that you all have read, of course,) it will be far too late for this story.

So, if you ever thought you could draw, if you ever wanted to draw, if you ever WANTED to want to draw a web comic story but have been kind of on the fritz, contact me.

The story will take place in a "city" environment, and will feature one human main character, and one anthro fox character. I will provide reference pictures if you feel incredibly inept at your ability to draw. The story is titled (currently,) "Never ride a train on a Sunday".

I also repeat, I am DESPERATE. This is a really good story, but I've got only a little bit of time before it leaves my head. So, don't be afraid to speak up if you want to try something new. Try something new; if you have a little bit of time, be daring. The comic will be under ten pages, so it won't kill your social life. Please. I need you. ]:(

...but that's just my opinion, so don't let it bother you too much!

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 08:58:59 PM
Lopez, get this thing down in a script.  I totally know what you mean by having a limited amount of time before it leaves your head. [;)

You're going to have to present this to your artist in a script form anyway, so best get it down now while it's still fresh in your mind, especially if you're concerned about it not coming to you later.  It's also vital to have your thoughts planned out several pages ahead of time anyway, so you can organize how you want your panels to look from page to page.  When I write comic scripts, it's basically a panel-by-panel description of the characters and background, along with any dialogue.

Best of luck!

[fox] Virmir

Lopez

• Resident (Human) Analyzer
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Your friendly local Human Representative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 09:32:41 PM
Hmmmm...thanks, Vir. I may know a lot about writing, but I have a bit to learn about how to write.

While I'm worried about loosing my ideas, I'm also concerned about cementing my characters too early. Nothing's worse than writing a character who has nowhere to go. It seems I'll have to find a nice balance. Fortunately, this story is propelled forward entirely by the strength of the last line, so at least I have a goal to work towards.

Do you normally rough sketch how you want you panels to look or just describe them in words?

...but that's just my opinion, so don't let it bother you too much!

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 12:19:15 AM
For the first 60 comics or so, I just described them to Tod in words.  But lately, I've been sending him a very rough layout sketch to help with positioning.  And I'll have to say that has helped tremendously since there's been a disconnect between what I've written and imagined in my mind and what he provided every once in a while.  So yes, I'd recommend a very rough sketch to send your artist.

When I do the script for Epic Battle, it's far less detailed and I don't bother with rough layout sketches since I do all the work myself and it's all in my head.  But then again, I do do rough stick figures when I start drawing the page and it's a lot easier to move the characters around the screen since I work digitally.

As far as "cementing" your characters, well, you're writing the story when you write the script, so you need to do that. [;)  Of course there's nothing wrong with working only a few pages ahead of time script-wise, but since you're only dealing with 10 pages here, you should be okay writing the whole thing out in one go before you even start looking for an artist.  (Especially since you want to get this thing down before you lose it.)  You could always just send your artist a few pages at at time and then tweak things as you see fit later on.

Hope that helps!

[fox] Virmir

DessertFox

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 12:15:28 AM
Lopez I can give it a try. Im a little afraid I low on time cause my art takes a bit of work, and finals are coming up but I would like to give it try. As always I love your writing.