Author Topic: TV Tropes & Us/You/Me/We/Whatever  (Read 8247 times)

Fen

• Secret Wizard
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • For the glory of the sammich!
    • View Profile
on: December 03, 2009, 11:52:30 AM
I have been browsing TV Tropes a lot recently, but I had a small problem. I realized a lack of certain things, a way something could appear that was similar to a Trope is some way, but didn't have one of its own. I thought that, perhaps, others have discovered this as well.

So I made this topic on the random insanity board where it rightly belongs, to ask: If you've thought of any tropes that don't actually exist, what are they? Also, in the manner which the infamous trap of near-inescapable (though enjoyable) link-hopping has taught us, please include something similar to the trope you've got, or perhaps a counter-trope of some sort. I'll have to ask you not give us more than a couple of links per trope though, and while an explanation or example would be good, getting into things that include the trope would get a bit too close to the actual thing- by that point a page on TV Tropes itself might as well be made.

This is more along the lines of smaller things and/or specifics, but especially something that could very well be a trope if it was better known. Anyway, on to my own!

Fringe Logic
So, someone has just spouted a wave of Insane Troll Logic, and you're convinced they are right. However, something doesn't match up. While it was most certainly Insane Troll Logic, there was something different about it. It made sense. How could this be? It is insane after all! Well, that's fringe logic. While similar, there are differences. ITL jumps from tangent to tangent, and the goal isn't to convince you so much that they are correct and accurate as to just make you give up or blind you with stupid. Fringe Logic, however, takes an approach akin to this, but also keeping in check with reality. Instead, it takes a step from one thing to something that can be associated with it, but only barely, which is where the name comes from, walking on the fringe of one concept to the fringe of another to make your point. It also tends to use the logic of the other person against them and for you.

minor Example: convincing someone you are making art
person1: hey, why are you playing an FPS? I thought you didn't like them?
person2:actually, I am making art.
person1:..what?
person2:see the aliens? when I shoot them what happens?
person1:they bleed.
person2:what color is the blood?
person1:well, some is blue, some green, purple, depends on the alien I guess.
person2:and because it is those colors, it kinda looks like paint. So, in a way, I'm painting.
person1:I guess, yeah. pretty violent painting though.
person2:It's still art.
person1:creepy art, but okay.

while not actually convincing person 1 they aren't playing a video game, person 2 has convinced them they are making art, through limited Fringe Logic.

Similar to Insane Troll Logic, not to be confused with Fridge Logic. The farther you go with Fringe Logic, the more likely it becomes Insane Troll Logic, in addition, Fringe Logic actually has to make sense- even if you use it's method to get there, going from French Fries to McDonald's causing the Irish Potato Famine is just ridiculous.

Snape Was A Ghost, Dumbledore Is Rosebud's Father, And Darth Vader Was The Sled!
When spoilerism goes horribly, horribly wrong. Someone will spew a number of spoilers that not only fall into the It Was His Sled trope, but they also got them incorrect. I haven't actually seen this, but I'm sure it exists somewhere out there. It can range from accidental mixing of characters, doing so purposefully for laughs (or an attempt at such), and sheer idiocy, usually in the form of an Idiot Ball melded into their skull.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 11:54:32 AM by Fenrs »

When was the last time you hugged your sammich?

Kyte

• Unofficial Official Rater of Things
  • Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
    • My FA page
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 07:39:09 PM
On a scale of 1 to 10...

no

I think Crimson Flag is a pretty cool guy. eh can use magic and doesn't afraid of anything...