Author Topic: Graphic novel extras  (Read 5644 times)

Shadow99611

• Hopeless artist
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
  • Stop. Hammertime.
    • View Profile
on: September 26, 2012, 02:54:51 PM
Heyo, me again! So I'm working on a graphic novel for a school project (it is going to take all year long to complete) and I am begging to run out of ideas for 'throwaway' characters, such as shopkeepers annoying pedestrians or just the general crowd.

So if you wanna give me a hand, just post your ref of whatever character you want to add as an extra and I'll shout out if I use them, as well as post up the page you'll be featured in when it's complete.

I can do this all on my own, but your guy's help would tremendously expedite the proccess and help me finish on time.

Edit: On some further advice from one of our esteemed members, you can specify what your character should be doing, bear in mind that some of the places are just shops and the street. But in the words of Tvorsk:
What I mean is that for example while Kenku would be a good shopkeeper (or quite possibly a pirate-musketeer {;)), he probably wouldn't like to be drawn, even in the background, as the royal executioner with a huge axe.
If someone is an armorer, you probably could draw him as that, or as a basic smith he probably was before specializing - but he'd probably wouldn't "feel right" drawn as a mage. {:P

And of course, nearly anyone, except maybe assassins, can be drawn as "just a random pedestrian".

So as long as you'll listen to the short basic "(s)he's that and this and would never that" one-two sentence description people would sure post along the ref and honor that when choosing as to what place and occupation to draw this particular background stunt-fuzzie in, all sides should be happy. {:)

That sums it up pretty well.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:52:53 PM by Shadow99611 »

Sanity is for the weak.

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 03:44:21 PM
Hmmm...I could be a shop keeper, although if you want I could just try to brew up a couple simple description ideas.

Shadow99611

• Hopeless artist
  • Stop. Hammertime.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 04:14:20 PM
It doesn't matter to me, I'm just going to take the refs posted and (edit) put them into a role to fill up some extra space, it's just a little easier to work off of a picture reference rather than having to come up with tons of extras on your own.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:28:05 PM by Shadow99611 »

Sanity is for the weak.

Tvorsk

• That one dusty marsfox.
  • Server Manager
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Anything can be solved if you'll try hard enough.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 04:22:07 PM
Not interested - but as a small hint: saying "I'll just shove them into a role" is a good way to make people not want to offer.
Show respect to the characters, they aren't yours, there are roles they'd fit in, and there are roles that would feel very wrong for them.

Thanks for reading,
-- Tvorsk

Draykin: And blast it, what is the world coming to when one cannot find a decent metal remix/cover of the Imperial March?

Shadow99611

• Hopeless artist
  • Stop. Hammertime.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 04:27:28 PM
Ahem, I apologize (reeeaally poor choice of words I admit). I'll edit slightly, but the characters wouldn't be in any speaking roles, nor would they probably be doing something they wouldn't normally do. I s'pose a better way to word it would be that I just wanted some filler people for crowds. I don't mean any disrespect, I happen to use different ways of saying things, and sometimes it comes out right.... And as above, sometimes it doesn't.

But on your advice I'll change it slightly.

Sanity is for the weak.

Tvorsk

• That one dusty marsfox.
  • Server Manager
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Anything can be solved if you'll try hard enough.
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 04:44:34 PM
Sorry, it's just that it really sounded like all you cared is some "visual references" to draw off, and make them do whatever's useful for you in the scene.

What I mean is that for example while Kenku would be a good shopkeeper (or quite possibly a pirate-musketeer {;)), he probably wouldn't like to be drawn, even in the background, as the royal executioner with a huge axe.
If someone is an armorer, you probably could draw him as that, or as a basic smith he probably was before specializing - but he'd probably wouldn't "feel right" drawn as a mage. {:P

And of course, nearly anyone, except maybe assassins, can be drawn as "just a random pedestrian".

So as long as you'll listen to the short basic "(s)he's that and this and would never that" one-two sentence description people would sure post along the ref and honor that when choosing as to what place and occupation to draw this particular background stunt-fuzzie in, all sides should be happy. {:)

Thanks for reading,
-- Tvorsk

Draykin: And blast it, what is the world coming to when one cannot find a decent metal remix/cover of the Imperial March?

Shadow99611

• Hopeless artist
  • Stop. Hammertime.
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 04:47:50 PM
Yeah, basically what you said... I may just paste of bit of that up there as that articulates quite well what I was looking for.

Sanity is for the weak.

Xandalstrokl

• The Moving Mountain
  • Crimson Flag Fan
  • I like Swords.
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 11:35:24 PM
Well I'll have you know, I play a great -Town Guard #2-
X3

Shadow99611

• Hopeless artist
  • Stop. Hammertime.
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 08:58:01 PM
Lol, you'd think someone would have applied for the first position before the second. If you are interested just put up a link to your ref and I'll give you a heads up if I put you in. (you would be a gaurd of some sort.)

Sanity is for the weak.