Author Topic: Grey Goo  (Read 5246 times)

LurkingWolf

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
on: September 12, 2012, 10:56:40 PM
Part 1 of a story that may or may not develop further.  Sort of a comic-book quality to the idea; I'll let you be the judge of how well it works.

Sullivan Miles crept through the dark warehouse area, using only a small flashlight to see his way, and that under a heavy filter to keep it from being readily visible.  He dodged between pipes, shining the light on several vats as he passed by, and continuing forward each time he found that it wasn’t what he was searching for.

His specialty, and the reason he was here, was corporate espionage.  While most people thought of hacking the networks of opposing companies for information, Miles had always been a bit more proactive.  He was a raccoon, and his natural instincts and light paws meant that he was great at actually breaking into the competitor’s factory to get a look at things up close.

This time, his job was extremely important.  The competitor’s network had been hacked just a few days prior, and it was discovered that they were in the final stages of creating a new technology, codenamed “Grey Goo” in all reference files.  It was unknown exactly what the technology was, but it involved controlled self-proliferating nanomachines.  Whatever the intentions were for using the technology, everyone realized that a successful, safe technology involving such mechanisms could quickly change the face of the world market, and they knew that they needed to have a hand in it when it was all said and done.

Miles finally found what he was looking for; it was a large vat, towering several feet above him in the dark warehouse area.  It was not clearly labeled, but Miles knew from what he had seen of the files that were found of the substance that he had found the right thing.  He searched about the tank’s perimeter until he found a ladder, and slowly climbed to the top.

The vat was closed, but Miles carried just the tool for the job.  It was a small datapad, equipped with all the technology he could possibly want.  He set it alongside the panel that controlled the lid to the vat, and waited a few moments while the ‘pad went through several combinations before finally opening the lid at a slow speed, doing so intentionally to keep it from making much sound.

Miles shined his flashlight into the tank, whistling in admiration as he did.  “Grey” didn’t do it justice.  The surface of the liquid in the tank was moving as the vat performed an automated mix of the contents, and the movement allowed Miles to get a good look at the stuff.  It shone in the dim light of his flashlight, casting a kaleidoscope of colors from its silvery surface.  If it had not been moving, it could have been a match for the chrome finish on his boss’s Mercedes.  As it was, the strange warping of the colors as the “metal” was constantly churned made it even more breathtaking.  Miles licked his muzzle; he could tell he would be getting an amazing commission out of this!

He quietly reached into his pack, pulling out a small vial that would let him take a sample.  He was already wearing gloves, so he carefully reached down into the vat with one hand while keeping a secure hold on the rim of the tank with his left paw.  His tail kept him balanced as well, so he could confidently reach down the few inches between the metal and the top of the container.  He chuckled as he dipped the vial into the Goo.  It slid around the mouth of the vial, filling it at the speed of molasses.  He waited until he had a good sample, and then pulled it out.

Only it didn’t want to come.

Miles frowned, pulling again at the vial.  The metal seemed to have solidified; it wasn’t giving at all now, where before it had been thinner than liquid soap.  That wouldn’t do at all; while it did mean that the strange metallic substance had possibilities for more than novelty value, it also meant that it had grabbed ahold of his gloved hand.

The raccoon let out a quiet breath and felt around for his pad. His left paw found it quickly enough; he had left it on the outside of the tank.  Pulling it off, he held it above the strange substance, trying to scan it to try to figure out a way to get it to release him.  It took him a moment to realize that his ‘pad was detecting an unknown interface device.  A quick check confirmed it; the ‘pad was detecting the metal!

As odd as it was, Miles decided that interfacing with the nanomachines was as good an idea as any.  He had his ‘pad connect to the interface device, and waited while it looked for valid options.  The screen suddenly flashed, and before Miles had a chance to react, the substance around his right paw started to pull him towards the vat!

“No!  Not good!”  Miles pulled against it for a moment then tried to get his ‘pad to respond.  All he got was a blank, white screen, however.  He grunted as he pulled, but it was no use.  While it wasn’t fast, the “Grey Goo” was far too strong to allow him to get away.  Miles growled, but no matter how much he pulled, the Goo pulled harder.  He had just enough time for one final cry before he was finally pulled headfirst into the tank.

Once it had his head, the goo pulled him quickly into it the rest of the way.  It was too thick for him to swim against, and he began to panic as he felt his lungs burning already, since he had not been able to hold his breath long beforehand.  He fought the urge to breathe; as he did, he tried not to think of how he was dying.  His company wouldn’t recognize his existence, and their competitors were unlikely to be kind in their disposal of his body.  More likely than not, no one would ever know what had happened to him.

Despite this knowledge, it was only a matter of time before he was forced to try to breathe.  As soon as his mouth opened, the pseudo-metal tried to pour in, and it was too thick to even let him gag.  He waited for the darkness to take him, even as he felt the horrible, cold sensation of the metal overwhelming him.  There was a steady dull pain all around him, but he still didn’t black out.  Even as the pain became worse, he was still aware, still praying that death would take him quickly.

Suddenly, he felt himself pulling free of the goo.  Desperation took over, and he tried to scramble in any direction that might lead him out of the vat.  The metal still clung tightly to him everywhere, and so he could not open his eyes to see what was happening.  He was still unable to breathe, but his paws finally did find the edge of the tank.  Not even considering how far he was above the ground, Miles pulled himself out, and felt the momentary weightlessness of falling before crashing to the ground.  He thanked whatever providence was overseeing this process that his senses were being dulled by the pressing metal cocoon about him.

He could not concentrate enough anymore to move, and so he lay there, aware enough to know that he was somehow still alive, but not quite enough to realize that he had not taken a breath in nearly five minutes.  Somehow, his body continued to function, even as logic dictated that he should have suffocated.  As it turned out, logic was still dictating things, just not the way that anyone would have expected.

>.ERROR: REBOOTING TO SAVE DATA
>.ERROR: UNRECOGNIZED INTERFACE DEVICE
>.ALLOW (Y/N?)
>.Y
>.INTERFACE GREY.UNIVERSALCONTROLLER INTIALIZING
>….
>….
>….
>.INITIALIZED
>.INTERFACE IS REQUESTING FULL PRIVILEGES
>.ALLOW (Y/N)
>.Y
>….
>….
>….
>.INITIALIZING SYSTEM FUNCTIONS
>.OPTIC………..READY
>.AUDIO………READY
>.MOTORFUNC……..READY
>.RESPIRATE……..READY
>.NEURAL………READY
>.CAUTION: FIRST-TIME USER DETECTED
>.RECOMMEND AUTOMATED CONTROL
>.ALLOW (Y/N)
>.N

“AHHHHHH!”

All thoughts of his covert mission were suddenly lost as Miles suddenly regained the ability to move.  His vision was blurry, and his lungs felt as though they had been inactive for ages.  His brain was full of strange thoughts, symbols and messages running through it at a rate that made him dizzy.  He cried out several more times, throwing in some color for good measure, before finally sinking back on his back.  His brain was slowly catching up to speed, and as it did he suddenly realized that his thoughts seemed odd.

He recognized suddenly that the rapidfire series of messages that had come to mind with no warning had been his own thoughts, and he remembered vaguely responding each time the strange phrases asked for a yes or no answer.  It had taken less than the time it would usually take him to blink an eye to process it all, and the fact that his mind had parsed it like an old text prompt just further assured him that something weird was going on.  He reached up to his head with one of his paws, only to stop and look at it in wonder.

It was his paw, and yet it wasn’t.  What he saw looked like something out of a strange science fiction series.  It looked like a hand, but it was built out of metal, miniscule motors and servos acting in place of muscles and tissue, joints built in a mechanical approximation of a raccoon’s paw, the shining chrome-like color of the Goo replacing skin and fur.  It responded as he thought, fingers flicking one at a time back and forth, then all at once, making a fist, making a peace gesture…  Everything her tried to make his paw do, this strange construct did instead.

He sat up slowly and looked himself over.  As he had suspected, the rest of his body was similarly altered.  Everything tht could have identified him readily was gone, even his clothing which was nowhere to be found.  Where ribs would have protected his vital organs now a pair of chest plates met in the middle, braced from within by several rib-like metal struts.  Without even realizing what he was doing, he was suddenly seeing through his chest, looking with eerie calm at the mechanical devices that had replaced what should have been there.  Another brief thought, and he again saw the outside of his body, plated wherever the extra protection was viable, and exposed at several more complex mechanical parts, especially complex joints.  All in all, he looked like a robot of some sort, a fact that caused him no end of confusion.

Miles stood, footsteps eerily silent.  He realized that his paws were still padded, despite their other changed, and he instinctively used the stealth to his advantage.  He took a final stock of his body, stopping several moments to consider his tail, which was now made of a strange, flexible metal, plated in several sections to allow it to bend freely while still being protected.  As he took a step, his tail still instinctively kept him balanced.

Altogether, although the change was odd, he somehow still felt at home in this body.  In a strange sense, it was still the same body he had been born with.  The meticulous detail that had been put into replicating every detail in this strange mechanical fashion was incredible, and his brain could interface with it as easily as it could control his old body.  If he only still had fur and clothing, he could probably fool anyone into thinking he was unchanged from before.

>.SYNTHETIC SKIN ACTIVATED

As this strange message flashed through Miles’ mind, he found that his thought had apparently been recognized as a command by whatever structure now interfaced with his mind.  Strangely, rather than using some sort of projection to replicate his fur, he watched in fascination as the nanomachines replicated themselves around his body, forming into a skin over his metallic skeleton, and then growing a healthy coat of furry strands.  Miles knew that the strands were metallic, but he could not tell from looking at them.  They took on the perfect color tones to match his old fur, and before long everything about him looked as it had before.  Even his mask had returned to its familiar place around his eyes.  Only one thing was missing, and with a thought, Miles was able to recreate the clothing he had been wearing on this mission.  He stared dumbfounded as he ran a paw across the surface of the pseudo-cloth.  It moved and felt like material, even though the metal had somehow synthesized it from the nanomachines that created its structure.  He doubted that anyone would be able to tell that he had changed, no matter how well they knew him.

That would serve him well enough.  No one needed to know what had happened here until he was certain himself.  Miles looked around the dark room, and was pleased to find that his eyes now allowed him to see nearly perfectly in the dark.  Flashlight forgotten, Miles started towards the exit.  HQ would be displeased that he had been unable to find anything, but they would get over it.  Perhaps once he knew what had happened to him, he would let them in on his secret.  Until then, he would let them believe that nothing was different.

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 11:06:58 PM
Very neat transformation ^^

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 08:05:47 PM
Looking good so far! Interested to see where this is going. [:)

[fox] Virmir

LurkingWolf

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 08:55:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Honestly, this was one that I had little concrete idea of where I was going when I started, so how I continue it is very flexible at the moment.  I do hope to get some ideas together soon, though.

LurkingWolf

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 08:14:47 PM
   “Sullivan!  Good to see you.”  The raccoon nodded to the black lab who sat at the desk just inside the R&D department’s door.  Sullivan would have loved to simply go home and try to forget this night, but he had been told to report to his superiors as soon as he returned.  Regardless of how weird things were for him at the moment, he still needed to let people know that he was all right, even if he couldn’t tell them what happened.

“Hey Alex.  Anything interesting happen while I was gone?”

The secretary shook her head.  “The only thing of interest was the report that there had been a problem at our opponents’ warehouse, some unknown alert code.”

Sullivan’s ears perked.  “Really?  I didn’t notice anything while I was there.”

“One way or the other, your boss wants to see you ASAP.”

“Thanks, Alex,” Sullivan nodded to her and walked off towards his department’s headquarters.  It had been placed in the R&D department for no one knew what reason, but it was nice to at least work in close proximity with other people, even though he technically was working under the radar.  Now his concern was whether or not he himself was a person.  He felt like one; somehow, the feedback from his senses was indistinguishable from his feelings before he had been changed.  Was it just some sort of virtual reality, though?  Was he nothing but a rough copy of the memories of the real Sullivan with a body made out of nanomachines?  Was he actually alive?

His considerations were brought up short by the sudden appearance of his supervisor.

“Hello—“  Sullivan was cut off as the orange tabby pushed him through the door into the closet.  He pressed the button on the remote he kept in one of his pockets, and a hidden door in one of the walls opened to let them through.  It closed as soon as they had passed.

“What in the blazes did you do?” the cat asked.  His tail stuck out rigidly.

Sullivan tried to keep nonchalant.  “Alex told me that something happened, but I didn’t see anything.”

“Don’t give me that!  They had an alert code no one has even heard of on the same night that you went to check out their latest thing.  Don’t try to convince me that nothing happened!”

“Listen, I got in but everything was sealed up tight.  I couldn’t even get a scan of the stuff.  I tried to scan through the vat, but I got nothing.  Unless they have a special alert code for detecting signals that they probably have every five minutes anyway, I don’t know what it was all about.”

The tabby sighed.  “All right.  That’s fine.  Just get a physical from the doc, would you?  I want to make sure that you weren’t caught in a hazardous situation without knowing it.”

Sullivan was sure that the cat saw him tense at the suggestion, but he managed to nod.  “All right, I’ll go see him now.  Take it easy, Chris.  It’s not you making the runs anymore.”

Chris shook his head.  You and I both know that I should be.  Just stay safe, I don’t need you getting hurt.”

Sullivan headed off towards the doctor’s area, a little cubby cut into the wall of the already cramped space that was the corporate espionage division of their company.  Sullivan wished Chris wasn’t so nervous about everything, but it was hard to blame the cat.  He’d been the main guy in the department for years, and he had almost been burned several times before he had retired.  Everyone knew he was good, even him, so he was naturally nervous any time someone went into a dangerous situation.

Before Sullivan could make a plan for how to avoid the doctor, the mangy beagle caught him before he got to the medical wing.  “Chris told me he wants a full checkup on you,” he said in a voice that was as much wheeze as words.  It was how he always talked, but it always grated on Sullivan, especially now that it seemed to mean he would have to spill his guts soon.

“I feel perfectly fine, Herman,” Sullivan said.

“Chris wants you checked anyway.  Come on; it’s just the basics.  It won’t take more than five minutes.”

Sullivan sighed.  It would be even less than that once they figured out that he was a machine.  Still, no one went against Chris in his department.  Herman would have him cooperate one way or the other.  Hopefully the geezer would be too deaf to notice the lack of heartbeat.

The raccoon sat on Herman’s table a while later as the beagle fiddled with a stethoscope.  He muttered to himself, trying to fix some perceived problem with the device.  After a few moments, however, he finally placed it on the raccoon’s chest, humming to himself as he listened.

“Hmm… that’s odd,” he commented.

Sullivan sighed.  “It’s okay, doc, I can explain.”

“Please do.  This is the first time I’ve heard a perfectly normal heartbeat in ages.”

Sullivan blinked.  “Perfectly normal?”

“Yes.  It is exactly in the middle of what I would call the normal, relaxed range.”  The beagle stared at the raccoon with an odd curiosity in his eyes.  “Well?  You were going to explain?”

“Uh, yeah!  I’ve been working out a lot recently, doc, trying to eat healthy and all.  I guess I’ve just reached physical perfection.”

Herman snorted.  “I don’t believe that for a moment.  Anyway, I don’t see any reason to continue this.  I’ve seen everything I think I need to see, and my stethoscope agrees with my eyes.  Do me a favor and get some rest.  You’re jumpy, and this department doesn’t need jumpy people.”

“Sure thing, doc,” the raccoon said.  He was confused, but he wasn’t about to argue with something that got him out of a possibly awkward situation.  He pulled his shirt back on, glancing one last time at the doctor to be sure he wasn’t pulling his leg.  He shrugged; maybe the doctors ears were worse than he’d hoped.

Sullivan stood at his bathroom sink, staring at himself in the mirror.  He didn’t look any different now than he had this morning when he got up, but it was all a ruse.

“Disable synthetic skin.”

The person before him suddenly changed, flesh and blood suddenly replaced by a metal skeleton, eyes shifting to reveal their electronic nature, fur disappearing completely.  His tail still flicked realistically back and forth, but it was a mockery of its former self, little more than an articulated metal tube built to move in a way that suggested reality.  He sighed, feeling how real even that felt from his strange body.

“What am I?”

>.YOU ARE A FULLY REALIZED NANOMACHINE CYBORG.

Sullivan blinked at the strange message from within his own head.  “Is it possible to receive these messages in another way?” he asked in exasperation.

“Affirmative.”   Sullivan blinked.  HE had spoken that word!

“No, I don’t want you using my voice!” he demanded.

“Affirmative.”  This time the words seemed to be projected straight into his mind.

“What have you done to me?”

“You are a nanomachine cyborg,” the information repeated.  “Your biological body has been absorbed by nanomachine gel X551-D, Grey Goo.  Its purpose is to use biological information to build a functional copy of the source from self-replicating nanomachines.”

“So these machines are theoretically capable of absorbing and replacing any organism.”

“Correct.  Current confirmed successes range from monocellular organisms to trees.”

“Am I the first creature with a brain to be translated?” Sullivan asked.

“Affirmative.”

“My brain…  My mind is gone, this is just a simulation?”

“Your brain has been absorbed.  Theoretically, however, Grey Goo is capable of emulating even the complex processes of a brain by copying brain cells and adopting their responsibilities.  Theoretically, your brain’s core functions are being performed by the Grey Goo.  All mental faculties should remain unaltered.”

Sullivan looked himself over, again noting the stark metal.  “Do I still need to eat?”

“Yes.  The nanomachines require a power source.  Based on your body, they have adapted to accept nutrients from food, water, sunlight…”

“So you’ve changed me completely… And not at all.”

“Inaccurate.  You have been completely changed.  Grey Goo only emulates the host.”

Sullivan sighed, leaning against the sink.  He looked up into the mirror, watching the light glint off of his metal exoskeleton.  “This body looks quite heavy,” he noted.  “How much do I weigh?

“You have a mass of approximately 63kg.  Grey Goo is also designed to emulate the approximate mass of the subject through hollow structures.”

Sullivan considered.  “Grey Goo is self replicating?”

“Affirmative.”

“How much mass could it replicate to?”

“Theoretically, the replication process of Grey Goo is infinitely repeatable.  It requires energy for great amounts, however, and constant use will necessitate food for recharge.”

Sullivan considered.  “Can I reduce my size?”

“Nanomachines may be reabsorbed for energy,” the voice responded.

“If I asked right now, could you reduce my age to ten?”

A sudden wave of nausea overtook the raccoon, and suddenly he found it harder to see the mirror.  He had shrunk so much that he could only barely reach the faucet of the sink!

Even more concerning, he suddenly found it hard to comprehend the situation.  He was a machine?  How?  Why?  Fortunately, he quickly regained his stature.

“Demonstration complete.  Caution: similar recombinations should not be attempted in excess of two times.”

Sullivan shook his head.  Had his mind been altered by the change as well?  “Do not perform shifts without clearing them with me,” he gasped, unsettled by the change of perspective.  The voice in his mind confirmed, and left him to gasp for breath for a few more moments.  Finally, he managed to glance back up into the mirror, trying to think of other things he could try, things that were less likely to cause him similar trouble.

“All right,” he said at length.  “New idea.  Let’s try a raccoon of my same age and approximate size…  Female.”

Another shift, this time with an accompanying activation of the synthetic skin, and he found himself staring at a young female raccoon in his bathroom mirror.  Before she could think about the change for very long, however, she felt a wave of emotions flood over her mind.  She suddenly felt the full weight of what had happened to her emotionally, and before long she was sobbing on the floor.

What would become of her now?  What could people do with something like her, a freak!  Would her own family even have anything else to do with her?

Doubts and worries flooded her until she finally cried herself to sleep on the floor of her bathroom.  Suddenly, the future that had once looked so bright was gone, and in its place was the darkness of the unknown.

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 08:02:06 PM
Sounds like he got emotions to fit that last form (ick! [;))

I like where this is going so far. Looking forward to reading more!

[fox] Virmir