Author Topic: FenTech Science  (Read 32206 times)

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 12:14:13 PM
Ah, so something BIG is about to happen.  I'll agree that things have been going a little *too* well, and as all stories/story universe do, this one needs a bit of conflict.  Perhaps we're about to get it. [;)

[fox] Virmir

Fen

• Secret Wizard
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • For the glory of the sammich!
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 02:07:28 PM
big story attack, go!

When was the last time you hugged your sammich?

Tvorsk

• That one dusty marsfox.
  • Server Manager
  • Anything can be solved if you'll try hard enough.
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 02:20:57 PM
Oh, no... it's too simple and straightforward for me to believe...
...unless...
...Okay that could work...
Hmm.

Actually, I don't know.
Two different "something's" aren't feeling right.
The leave (escape?) of yours... burning bridges behind?
And... no... I don't know.
* Tvorsk is confused... and in this case it could be a good thing...

Thanks for reading,
-- Tvorsk

Draykin: And blast it, what is the world coming to when one cannot find a decent metal remix/cover of the Imperial March?

Lopez

• Resident (Human) Analyzer
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Your friendly local Human Representative
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 07:42:54 PM
Oh, wow. There's a lot going on in this story, and, like Tvorsk, I'm not sure if I can exactly put my finger on it. Let's start with an overview.

The final project! This is Dr. Wolf's true dream. Escape. Escape from paperwork, escape from people, escape from reality. That is because reality is all an illusion, and he has become one with the Tao.

Waiiiit...this is NOT my Chinese philosophy class.

My dreams can’t let me stay here, either, though I wish they would.

Is his dream really escape from the world. To put himself inside an illusion that he creates in order to escape the illusion that is the real world?

We probably need to go alllll the way back to the original discussion on Dr. Wolf's motives. He wants to make everyone's dreams come true. He feels that the world is a mess due to unfulfilled wishes. Wishes to be reversed in age, gender, and species are only the beginning.

But why escape? Why escape from everything in the real world?

I hate to bring this back into it, but I'll have to say it; Dr. Wolf is a Taoist. Big time. Taoism is defined by being anti-Confucian. That means, the Taoists believe that the muddle of the modern-day world confounds our logic, and only by removing the names of things can we reach the Tao. The Tao binds all things in the world. (Tao is...like, imagine the Nature of the Universe.)

Dr. Wolf sees this. But he sees that the only solution to this problem would be removing the modern-day world altogether. Because reaching the Tao in this universe is impossible, the only way to truly reach it would be by entering a universe of his design. This is his dream. He knows that this is the true dream of everyone, (Hence, he's a Taoist in a world of eeeeevil Confucians,) so he knows that this will hold true for everyone else.

Okay, Fen, I know that you didn't INTEND Dr. Wolf to be a Taoist, but I hope this perspective is on the right track to your true message of this piece. What do you guys think?

...but that's just my opinion, so don't let it bother you too much!

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 11:34:27 AM
hmmm. I can and will withhold information that would either prove or disprove this theory in favor of letting you figure out for yourself and seeing what else you might come up with.  [;)

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 05:50:32 PM
Isn't "an island in the sky" what you see the CF chatroom as?

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 08:53:00 PM
Indeed it is, Jonas. I draw the inspiration from elsewhere, though. there are a lot of sky-islands. I wonder why no real estate agents have tried to sell land on them.

hmm.

probably the bad commute.

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 03:16:51 PM
Oh weird... Dr Wolf.. just cuts and runs? hehe seems somewhat escapist to me! also irresponsible all the paperwork... and the police investigation and whatnot that stems from a person disappearing.

I bet though while Fens gone.. a lot of things may change, as I assume really someone just upping and leaving a lot of financial assets behind is surely gonna attarct those who might want to make and easy buck.

-------------

Oh Just to clarify, I assume those super secret projects resulted in.. a Portal device.. some sort of improved tf potion machine.. And some Pocket Universe maker thing?

Haha well I guess that isn't too much harder than making a Faster than Light Drive or something. Though you could probably send slower than light ships with those portal devices to other planets, so in a way maybe Fens 'dream' could also be fulfilled that way, expanding out into the stars as well as into those pocket universes.

hehe anyway *waits for new installments* ]:)

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 09:42:24 PM
Interesting... can't say I saw this coming.

Dr. Wolf seemed a little too good to be true to me, honestly.  Almost divine in his intentions and accomplishments.  But now that he's up and left to let the "normal" people run things, things could get interesting. [;)

[fox] Virmir

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: May 30, 2010, 03:02:21 PM
mini-stealth update, go!

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: June 03, 2010, 10:23:32 PM
Behold: a Real (albeit still rather smallish) update!
(and more foreshadowing. mmm, delicious.)

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: July 01, 2010, 05:33:08 PM
The universe has been hinting and inching towards a darker horizon.
This is the first step.

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: July 02, 2010, 10:27:20 AM
comments! opinions! reviews! all these things and more are welcome because otherwise it looks like I'm the only one posting in this thread.

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: July 02, 2010, 12:52:35 PM
comments! opinions! reviews! all these things and more are welcome because otherwise it looks like I'm the only one posting in this thread.
Heh.  I know how that feels.  {;)

Anyway, it seems that in Fen's absence Dr.O has made a power grab.  Interesting, rather elaborate, and his extensive reliance on robots suggests that without their "encouragement" most FenTech employees would have been less than cooperative.  Somehow I get the feeling that Dr. Wolf will return on the side of the rebels, but I'm expecting at least a heroic BSOD along the way.  Muttering/screaming "What have I done?" is optional.  I was always a bit suspicious of the whole FenTech product line, as almost all of it had that "too good to be true" sound to it, and seemed to just come out of nowhere.  Something still seems off though, so I'm still looking for the man behind the curtain, as it were.  {;)

"The corporation shall be reorganized into the FIRST!  GLOBAL! EMPIRE!  For a SAFE!  And SECURE!  SOCIETY!"

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #44 on: July 07, 2010, 03:36:43 PM
Finally caught up again.  And it looks like things are getting interesting!  Nice work, Fenrs.  The universe needed a bit of conflict, and looks like we're getting it. [;)

[fox] Virmir