Author Topic: FenTech Science  (Read 34444 times)

Geary

• Pyro
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 09:31:39 PM
I will say this though, Dr. O is coming back.

...Dr. Octopus?

Geary: That means you get a companion for four levels, then it gets an upgrade.
Draykin: A very PAINFUL upgrade.
* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;
Geary: GET YOUR PET DRUNK.

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 09:48:13 PM
I'm not sure what I'm doing here, but it obviously was somesort of deconstruction or what not.. taking away the 'Happy and Fluffy' bits to expose what might be the Deep dark implications of this story. Feel Free To ignore and what not

Hmm an interesting story! you Obviously take the "Idealistic " approach to your FenTech Universe.. But somehow it unsettles me especially "Hacker Hacker." Especially if one were to  srtip away the idealism one would left with a pretty scaryish world in my opinion.

The company as a whole reminds me of cyberpunk stories, with Fentech playing the Huge multinational company that might not exactly care for their customers welfare, beyond the façade they make to draw them into getting products. The idea of intentionally making the device malfunction if any attempt is made to alter it sounds quite sinister if you think about it. Sure Ezekel is 'hacking' the device.. but especially the 'last level' of encryption programmed to cause massive Changes/mutations/what not, sounds especially malicious to me...

Also at the end, the while "Oh we LOVE to help you.. But its gonna be expensive" Line Just strengthened the idea that the Fentech may not the all that about "Making Dreams come true" but more making a profit or what not, or at the very least protecting their trade secrets. Then Ezekiel has to basically sign himself away to the company for a while to pay off the debit sounds like indentured servitude to me ]:O

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Fen

• Secret Wizard
  • For the glory of the sammich!
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 09:55:42 PM
well! I'll be sure to address these things in the new story... as for peeling back the layers and going deeper in... heh. I'll let speculation try to figure out what goes on in the mind of the company compared to the face.

When was the last time you hugged your sammich?

Lopez

• Resident (Human) Analyzer
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Your friendly local Human Representative
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 10:55:38 PM
Yeah...that was the other thing. As soon as I saw that the title of the story was "Hacker, Hacker" that made me think "Why TWO Hackers? Wouldn't one be enough to tell the title of the story?" Then I was like OH SNAP DR. ORDELIU IS A HACKER TOO.

Annnnnd I have to disagree with Kai. Unlike most people, I have an intense trust of most large organizations. Again, I have an intense TRUST of MOST large organizations. Because freedom is evil. If only everyone didn't hack the device and followed all the rules the world would work PERFECTLY. But because people don't, we have to make all sorts of backup plans like devices malfunctioning and prison time.

Annnnnd also back to my original point, without these people breaking the rules society can't progress. Wow, society is really messed up.

@Geary: A ha ha ha yeah I must be back to my old habits. ]:) I've been doing waaaaaay too much creative writing recently.

...but that's just my opinion, so don't let it bother you too much!

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 11:30:02 PM

But because people don't, we have to make all sorts of backup plans like devices malfunctioning and prison time.

Er, I'm pretty sure, In the real word, devices that malfunction should fail 'Safely' rather than in a dangerous/malicious manner. And I wouldt say Freedom is evil... more that people not knowing what to do with their freedoms.

Also.. thats somewhat Black and White morality there dontcha think.. there reason rules are ther is people know that other people wont follow them, the world is made up of  shades of gray.

Annnnnd also back to my original point, without these people breaking the rules society can't progress. Wow, society is really messed up.

Yea.. thats kinda how its.. Eat or be eaten or such ]:O  Also whats wrong with breaking the rules? The way society is today came about by Overturning what the 'Rules' were from previous generations. The Trick is knowing when to break the rules in a way that make things better for everyone.

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 09:11:19 PM
Interesting set of stories you have here, Fenrs!

Really the only major problem I have with these tales is how easily the "government" folded and allowed the legal use of this transformation formula.  However, with what the first journal story hints at, and a slightly darker side of the company that the Hacker story presents, I'd suspect that there's a lot more than meets the eye.  If you think about it, they certainly have the technology to make perfect clones of key congress members and replace them during the night-- now THIS would make for an interesting twist.  FenTech secretly taking steps to control the country?  Now granted, this doesn't instantly make Dr. Wolf "evil" if he's using underhanded tactics to rise to the top.  Perhaps he's a chaotic neutral fellow with a genuine interest to help others follow their dreams-- but at ANY cost.

How's that for wild speculation? [;)

Either way, I'm enjoying these and look forward to reading the next one. [:)

[fox] Virmir

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 09:21:29 PM
Perhaps he's a chaotic neutral fellow with a genuine interest to help others follow their dreams-- but at ANY cost.

haha.. ah so you do see it too, I was worried no one had really noticed the darker undertones that are present in the way I interpreted the story Universe.

I was thinking too... Maybe Dr.Wolf could also be a pawn of his Business associates, Dr Wolf could be one of those scientists/idealists that have their head stuck in the clouds helping humanity, while the downtrodden and stressed associates are tasked with actually running the company, (Though there hasn't been any mention of any associated or what not in the current stories).

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 07:07:48 PM
A Sequel approaches!

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: December 30, 2009, 08:03:37 PM
Interesting, but doesn't elaborate much other than a small bit of Fen's personality. Speaking of the good doctor... why is he a wolf anthro in this one and not the others?

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 08:11:16 PM
busy man. Didn't quite have to to get himself set up... And, of course, the world needed to settle into the idea first. It'd be bad to jump the gun and be the singular odd one out, and get shut down.

Lopez

• View Profile
Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 09:30:48 PM
It seems that Fen is a positive character. Ezekial is not being punished in any way for hacking with the device. Fen is apologizing for all the trouble that he caused Ezekial, and Ezekial is learning how the company is run by all sorts of nice people. Hooray! ]:)

Again, @both Virmir and Kai, there is no darker side to this company. It's all happy flowers and helping people achieve their true dreams and being nice to others, (as much as I would like to read darker images into it at this time like the both of you, this is all we have to work with for right now.)

Soooo...we'll be waiting for you to throw a major twist in this tale any day now. Not that you HAVE to, of course, but the FenOrb cannot keep operating perfectly forever...

OR CAN IT???

I'm interested to see where you develop this... ];)

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 12:13:02 AM
Hehehe.. well, I'll drop a tidbit of information. At this point in the story, there is no FenOrb.

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 03:23:37 AM
@Lopez

Yea.. though the Stories itself don't hint at all at a 'darker' side and such, I (and probably Virmir) were reading into the world and comparing Fentech to how companies behave realistically.

it seems that Fentech *can do no wrong* you could see it in the 2nd story, where Dr.Wolf Rejects the inventor what wants to make weapons and such, declaring Fentech works only to better human kind and such.. but compare that to the part where he admits that the 'last layer of encryption' was actually designed to be malicious

Quote from:  Dr.Wolf
In truth, it was meant to be a lesson, to not tamper with the hard work of others unless given permission

Quote from:  Lopez
It's all happy flowers and helping people achieve their true dreams and being nice to others

But thats the thing Lopez.. its not all happy flowers anfd gumdrops.. Fen allowed a product to to reach the market, that in some way, be actively made to harm, to teach someone a lesson.

Quote from:  Lopez
Soooo...we'll be waiting for you to throw a major twist in this tale any day now. Not that you HAVE to, of course, but the FenOrb cannot keep operating perfectly forever...

There HAS to be a plot twist or something in here somewhere, the world is too perfect.. too plasticity otherwise, Fen is right.. and Ezekel is bad and got his just desserts, etc etc, it seems too idealistic, to work.

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 01:59:15 PM
Wow. that was fast!

Lopez

• View Profile
Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 03:21:01 PM
But thats the thing Lopez.. its not all happy flowers anfd gumdrops.. Fen allowed a product to to reach the market, that in some way, be actively made to harm, to teach someone a lesson.

Well, yeah. But now that he's apologized, it's all happy flowers and gumdrops. No evil in this world runs amok for long.

This story agrees with
Dr Wolf could be one of those scientists/idealists that have their head stuck in the clouds helping humanity,
, but not so much with
while the downtrodden and stressed associates are tasked with actually running the company,

hall they passed through by bike
DANG YO, that is one looooong hallway...

And...cliffhanger! What is the one of three? Is Dr. Wolf actually evil? Is Fenrs taking after Virmir?

Paperwork.
“Bleh.”
Fen never liked the blasted stuff.

Maybe...maybe...We'll have to see. ]:)