Author Topic: "Reyan Saga" (unfinished)  (Read 78350 times)

DessertFox

Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 06:21:00 AM
Wow!  That's really cool stuff!  Do you have an art gallery somewhere?  I'd love to see more of your stuff. [:)

I think the "Added Glowyness" gem is closest to how I picture Gavin's lifestone in my mind, he he he.  And yes, we will get to meet the lelran eventually.

The next part will probably be a little slow in coming because my writing energies will be mostly focused on the comic script for the next two weekends.  But I do the next part largely worked out in my mind, so stay tuned. [:)

Rarely draw anything, so never needed a gallery. And in recent years everything that I've drawn was for other people so they have always had a gallery of their own.

Take no rush, I like where the comic is going.  [:)

Question: What does your Kitsune look like? Just like the three-tail in part one?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 06:29:09 AM by DessertFox »

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 11:06:29 AM
Who, Gavin?  He should look similar to the three-tail, except smaller and younger.  Sort of like this guy when in morphic (bipedal) form. I pictured him with more a dull brownish fur as opposed to brilliant red (since he has less magical power).  I meant to include that detail in there somewhere but I think I glossed over it, so have to sneak it in somewhere else now. [;)

[fox] Virmir

DessertFox

Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 06:43:39 AM
Thanks for that, I'm going to try and do a painting of Gavin, when he first holds the gem.

I made a MS paint quickie, as a prototype. It looks a little awkward to sit on your tail.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/ambush_photo/fox-holding-gem-big-1.png
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 10:54:52 PM by DessertFox »

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 10:34:53 AM
Ha ha, that it does.  Cool stuff!  I used to mess with MS Paint long ago, but Photoshop has spoiled me. [;)

[fox] Virmir

Pontos

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 01:14:58 PM
Cool pixel art there DessertFox |fox|
I can't help but picture every time I read about a Kitsune as yellowish/golden furred (Fennec-like you could say), more than the usual reddish color of a Red Fox.

I guess I'm too spoiled by the typical representation of Kitsunes on Japanese traditional art and Anime/manga (since well, they came from their folklore after all |;))

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 10:14:07 PM
He he he... one of the reasons I named them "reyan" for this story. [;)

[fox] Virmir

DessertFox

Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 06:46:57 PM
Ugh, first attempt at Gavin went horribly wrong. I had to stop when I started picturing one of his "trash" eyes as a mouse. For me if I lose the picture of what I'm trying to draw, game over. Not much I can do. Although I suppose more practice would help. How do you like to draw Virmir? Do you have a picture in your mind, and let it out? or Do you find inspiration at the drawing table?

Going to see if taking a crack at it Wednesday helps any.

The Mouse:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 07:20:05 PM by DessertFox »

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 09:38:42 PM
I do usually have a picture in mind, but oftentimes I just go with what "comes out" if it looks okay. [:)

[fox] Virmir

Lopez

• Resident (Human) Analyzer
  • Your friendly local Human Representative
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 10:00:26 PM
Interesting bringing a new race into the mix, I wonder what their relation to humans is, if any? Probably isn't worthy of development, but interesting to think about.

I think the main issue at work in this story is Gavin's trouble with desires. You might say, isn't that obvious? I mean, he DESIRES power, he can't control his DESIRE for mana berries, so shouldn't his trouble with desire be accepted as fact? However, I do not believe that simply the trouble with desire fully describes Gavin's current inner conflict.

Instead, the real conflict that vexes Gavin rests in his inability to properly dissolve his human desires from his Reyan form. In part two, Virmir writes, "He just wanted to escape!" showing how Gavin incurs a natural flight instinct from his human view of society. This correlation between danger and escape presents itself as a crucial part of the human desire for self-preservation. However, Gavin fails to see that this desire no longer applies to his Reyan form, since his desire should not be escape from the situation, but the protection of his life stone. Because Gavin "just" wants to escape, he does not think about how this human impulse will affect his Reyan form. Even if Gavin could escape from the situation, he would still be held captive by his life stone, a fact which never crosses his mind. Because Gavin still lives by his human desires, he cannot understand what his Reyan desires should be, and instead applies his human desires to every strategic position in which he finds himself.

It should be interesting to see how you develop this idea in your future parts. You did a reallllllly nice job with this, because this is an idea that you could never develop inside an ordinary fiction story. But now I'm overanxious for the next part. {:( I don't think that I will be able to wait.

-Nice MSPaint work, DessertFox! I used to work with MSpaint myself, so I can appreciate the style. I still dab in it every so often, but I've found that comic-ing just works better in photoshop. 'Tis a shame. {:( Yeah, you should get a gallery somewhere. {;)

...but that's just my opinion, so don't let it bother you too much!

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 10:27:58 PM
Wow, you really dig deep with your feedback.  Thank you very much. [:)

... because this is an idea that you could never develop inside an ordinary fiction story.

This is why I write transformation in general. [:)

I've been on a slump with this tale unfortunately.  The past few times I've opened the word processor nothing has come out.  Hope to get back on the ball with this one eventually, though.

[fox] Virmir

DessertFox

Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 10:53:00 PM
It took a very long time.  {fox}

Smaller Higher Res transparent

ps: Just a note, look at my prototype (same as above) I thought it was cool how similar they were.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:23:45 PM by DessertFox »

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 11:03:01 PM
Wow!  That's really impressive!  Absolutely fantastic work on the pose, the fur, everything. [:)

I'd like to use this image when I get around to posting the story on my website, if you don't mind. Really, really nice work. [:)

[fox] Virmir

Pontos

• View Profile
Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 11:19:09 PM
Really cool!
As I told you, I really like his feet and his gesture of "This little thing is my life?" |:)

Awesome work

DessertFox

Reply #28 on: February 28, 2009, 07:30:16 AM
I don't mind, its gift art for you. [:)

I was also hoping that, this might help the writer's juices to flow.

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 10:27:56 AM
Did you make that in Paint?

Impressive, regardless.  I've never had the patience to put that much time into the detailing...