Author Topic: Dawn of Worlds  (Read 111075 times)

Fen

• Secret Wizard
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • For the glory of the sammich!
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: December 04, 2011, 12:16:30 PM
Awright, second age. I command my Avatar, to create a race (1 point) It rips off its own tail and casts it into the lake of D9. From the waters come the new race; The Tek. They are small, but many; humanoid lizards standing a maximum of five feet tall. They have claws with hooked talons on each hand and foot, with webbed fingers and toes and suction cups on their hands and feet, with gills to breathe underwater if they must. They are many shades of grey in color, reflecting the Avatar which created them. They inhabit The Green Bastion, the rainforest around the lake of their birth. They are extremely loyal to the Avatar in the lake, who they named Tek'Rael, and the rainforests they call home.

Culturally, they are complex; the race is less defined by what many do, and more on what an individual decides to do. Each Tek takes his or her own path in life and follows it; social groups are around like-minded individuals who become friends, rather than focusing on families. The interests are wide and varied; if you ask a Tek what the Tek do, your only answer will be "Everything". Despite this, though, it seems almost all Tek have a devotion to studying magic, usually to further their individual interests. The Tek are a Good aligned race (+1).

I was holding off on naming and placing my Avatar because I figured nobody would be around in the world to notice it yet.. haha. Oh well.

Okay, now then.. I'm going to Command Race to build a series of small towns around the lake to inhabit. (4 points)

Now that the Tek are civilized, I'll also Create Order (6 points) and make a floating magic city, where the greatest Tek mages study, and where new mages come to learn. It functions as the Tek Capital City as well. This is now the home of Tek'Rael, The Grey Father. The city shall be named Terrol.

I'll use Advance Civilization (5 points) as well, to give the Tek profound knowledge of magic, putting them at the height of magical knowledge in the world.

in total, 16 points spent. (1 command avatar, 4 command race, 6 create order, 5 advance civilization)

as per having a sect to start off with, my starting sect will be the Grey Robes, a religious/magi group based in the capital city, devoted to discovering new magics and worshiping Tek'rael.

and I think you need to re-read the rules again, Eccentric. your race jumped from just being created to having a mathematics university. Creating a race doesn't start it off as a civilization; you need to make it a civilization yourself!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 09:35:36 PM by Fen »

When was the last time you hugged your sammich?

EccentricOrbit

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: December 04, 2011, 02:01:56 PM
and I think you need to re-read the rules again, Eccentric. your race jumped from just being created to having a mathematics university. Creating a race doesn't start it off as a civilization; you need to make it a civilization yourself!

Maybe I am doing things out of order. I thought you needed an avatar or order created first before you could start telling a race to build cities/do other stuff they wouldn't normally do automatically?

For now, I suppose the order could be a rather informal society of teachers and students. The libraries/refinement of their skill could come sometime next turn when I have a chance to use Advance Civilization, and Command Order to give them a city.

As for the northeastern continent - it is beginning to look a little crowded. I suppose the other place the goblins could show up instead, being frugivores, is the forests around D3.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:08:09 PM by EccentricOrbit »

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: December 04, 2011, 02:23:44 PM

Maybe I am doing things out of order. I thought you needed an avatar or order created first before you could start telling a race to build cities/do other stuff they wouldn't normally do automatically?

For now, I suppose the order could be a rather informal society of teachers and students. The libraries/refinement of their skill could come sometime next turn when I have a chance to use Advance Civilization, and Command Order to give them a city.

As for the northeastern continent - it is beginning to look a little crowded. I suppose the other place the goblins could show up instead, being frugivores, is the forests around D3.

The rules are a little strange to figure out, it says you need a "sect" or an avatar before you can start commanding a civilization, and the command civilization power is used to build cities. SO that progression is pretty logical. The problem I find is it never really defines what it means by a "sect" though it does specify an avatar OR a sect to start commanding the civilization, so if you have an avatar that works I guess.. Fax knows the most about this, guess we have to poke him about it.

Fax

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: December 04, 2011, 06:58:56 PM
As far as orders/ sects/ whatever go, they are simply a group of individuals directed to a common goal. This can be an empire or a tiny cult or a bunch of academics or even a notable mercenary group. Doesn't really matter.
As for advances, they are essentially technologies or abilities or such that that particular civilization/ city is the first or best at. Doesn't mean that others can't eventually get them, just that they will always be best. (other civilizations can't buy that same tech as an advancement but they can still use them to some degree. You don't need to do every single last advancement that a civilization might have, just the important ones. The rest are assumed to be present)

Raf_Cian

• View Profile
Reply #79 on: December 04, 2011, 07:26:37 PM
Did some more reading of the rules to confirm my memory. The creator of a race gets an order within that race automatically(detail found under command race). Orders are used to command the races/cities, but not exclusively by the orders' respective creators; impersonation just comes with a hefty surcharge(detail under command order). Impersonation costs are more for the religious orders, so it's important to note the whether if an order is religious or trade.

Hunting down details like this is starting to make me understand why some have called the rules confusing. They are very simple as a whole... it's just that all the details are spread thin without repetition where you need it for browsing clarity.

Anyway, my own actions will come a little later tonight. Don't wait up for me.

Donnie

• Mage of the TabletPC
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: December 04, 2011, 07:48:05 PM
I shall create an avatar:

"The Lord of Balance"
A being of pure, unforgiving order and balance, life and death, the temporary and mortal. Taking the form of an armored Gray Fox, the Lord of Balance inhabits the centermost region of the world, a peaceful tributary on the southern continent (E7). A being of great ego, he will not hesitate to demand tribute be made of him by races to come.

He is manipulative, cunning, and only serves himself and the god who offers him the greatest of power. However he will not hesitate to maintain balance in the world. Too much good, he will seek to sew discontent, too much evil and one may find rebellions erupting out of nowhere.

Beware of the fox.

(-7)
I shall tell my avatar to create a race!

The Larepin

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5021/geraltapparat.jpg
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/6485316
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/6565538
:---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Lord of Balance held upon his grasp three creatures: a rabbit, a fox, and a cat. From these three components he created a new race and threw them onto the landmass of D5 from his center of meditation on E7. From there, independent from his will from which he desired, the new race rose up and began to form their first footsteps. The race will be known as the Larepin species.

The typical Larepin is relatively short at 4 feet tall but some individuals can be as tall as 6 feet or as short as 2 feet. The general feature is long ears, bunny legs, and large tails, but like their height these features vary MADLY. Some Larepin can have huge tails but be small in height, some can be extremely tall but lack anything more than a fluffy ball for a tail. In terms of color, the typical pigmentation is creamy yellow/white with brown stripes or ends on their paws, ears, feet, and tail. However this also varies WILDLY. Some larepin have been known to posses sky blue fur, some black, eye color varies as well from white to hot pink. This is a race of extreme biological diversity.

Much to The Lord of Balance's designs, the Larepin perform a frightening level of individuality, even more so exaggerated from their tremendous birthrate. Few Larepin appear or even act like their parents, each new Larepin almost appears to be completely unique in its own appearance and personality. However these natural traits can be tempered with close family interactions, thereby creating clans of similar minded but highly divergent families. A single Larepin is immensely curious and creative, always looking to form new ideas and tools.

The midst of this seeming chaos brings about its own form of balance. The Larepin, though primitive at this current stage, show an extreme temperament to form communities of vastly different viewpoints and use the accumulated disagreements to form superior agreements. Larepin are not Larepin if they do not find themselves arguing.

Although Larepin are frighteningly chaotic, they do not lean towards evil intentions, nor are they 'good' as they tend to be highly destructive in their competitiveness. Therefore the Larepin are a NEUTRAL (0) race.

Having made a race, they should get their own 'order'. For now, being a primitive civilization, their order is currently a sect of Warrior Priests known as "Order of the White Dragons". They serve to guide their peoples and teach them the ways of wisdom, but also armed defense.

I think I have 1 point left.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 09:39:33 PM by Donnie »

Raf_Cian

• View Profile
Reply #81 on: December 04, 2011, 11:42:44 PM
Starting Points:  10
Create Race (-6)
First order of the second age, creating a new race in the tropical jungles of J9. A strange breed of monkey rats, these creatures woke up onto the world calling themselves the Rakey. Standing at an average of four feet, the Rakey are rarely standing at all with their prehensile rat tails and delicate manipulators on all four limbs. Their fur ranges in a varying pallet of autumn colors, with brown being the most common.

Playfully moving through the trees, these mobile warrens are united by the bonds of family and the need for protection in a dangerous jungle. They work together, and recognize the need for each other’s wellbeing to survive. As such they enter into the world as a good (+1) race.

If there was a leading force amongst the Rakey, it would be the Watchers. While all admire its beauty, ever once in awhile a Rakey will be drawn to the red crystal in the center of the island. There they stare mesmerized at its shifting lights, occasionally drawing inspiration for the betterment of their people. While not direct worship, it is still idolization making them a religious order.

Command Race (-4)
The sitting still for so long, the Watchers see the need for protection from the danger of the jungle. As such they start building the first structures for protection around their idolized crystal. With rope, dead wood, and hide, they build structures near the ground and in the trees to grant them sanctuary. They don’t turn out visitors, and even if those that don’t join the meditation are welcome. Soon many families occupy and expand these original structures.  These separate families in turn becomes one greater family, forming the foundation of the first Rakey city: Recyled.

End Points: 0

nagolinc

• View Profile
Reply #82 on: December 05, 2011, 06:49:58 PM
Starting Points: 12

Create Avatar (-7)

Miserable-Failure is a walrus-faced monopod with a plaid sweater and peacock tail.  His two favorite utterances are "Oh no, not again" and "I blame this on toast".  It is thought if we knew why he said these things, a number of other mysteries about the universe would also become clear. 
Miserable-Failure dwells in the volcanic pits of (I,11), where he spends most of his time trying to drown himself in pools of boiling lava.  unfortunately for Miserable Failure, he is immortal.

Create Subrace (-4)

The Hraim'turu are an offshoot of the Turu'hraim who are in love with implosions.  You name it, and they have a holiday dedicated to making it implode, or at the very least trying to.  Long has an ancient prophecy among their people told of the day when they would build a mythical device known as the Large-Hadron-Collider in which they might build a black-hole, causing the world itself to collapse under its own gravity. 

I'm not sure if sub-races also come with orders, but if so the Hraim'turu have one dedicated to bringing about the end of the universe in a Big-Crunch

Command Avatar (-1)
(Create Race)

While shambling around in the pits of lava trying to bring about his own demise, Miserable Failure accidentally gives birth to a race of beautiful faries, the Edraei.
Miserable-Failure attempts to exterminate the Edraei, whose beauty seems a cruel mockery of his own hideous appearance.  However, the faries easily evade Miserable-Failure's clumsy blows.
Recognizing that he is responsible for their existance, the Edraei kindly offer to knit Miserable-Failure a new sweater, but he refuses to speak to them.  Nonetheless, the Edraei form the Order of the Plaid Sweater, which vows to create a sweater so beautiful even Miserable-Failure will look good wearing it.

End Points: 0

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: December 05, 2011, 10:19:51 PM
...is Miserable-Failure a fleshy walrus reincarnation of Marvin the Paranoid Android?

nagolinc

• View Profile
Reply #84 on: December 06, 2011, 06:40:47 AM
...is Miserable-Failure a fleshy walrus reincarnation of Marvin the Paranoid Android?

Actually a cross between Marvin and the Flower-pot

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: December 06, 2011, 12:33:17 PM

Actually a cross between Marvin and the Flower-pot

Wow, the two most depressing entities in the whole of the Hitchhiker universe.

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • I gurl
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: December 06, 2011, 06:10:28 PM
But wait... doesn't this mean he has to die (again) eventually at the hands of someone fulfilling the role of Arthur Dent?

🏳️‍⚧️Princess is a contagious condition🏳️‍⚧️
She/her pronouns please ❤️

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: December 07, 2011, 11:37:00 AM
But wait... doesn't this mean he has to die (again) eventually at the hands of someone fulfilling the role of Arthur Dent?

we should end the world by a visitation of a hapless bathrobed man accidentally crashing a nuclear-powered cruise liner spaceship into the planet.

Fax

• View Profile
Reply #88 on: December 10, 2011, 04:33:59 PM
Ok, plan is to update tonight. Dragyn, please post ASAP if you plan on doing anything other than passing your turn

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #89 on: December 10, 2011, 06:33:12 PM
Sorry.  Thought I'd said something.  I'm holding off on doing anything, until I think of something suitable awesome.