Author Topic: Dawn of Worlds  (Read 111069 times)

Raf_Cian

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: November 29, 2011, 11:14:29 PM
I vote for staying in the first age. There's just too much open land out there. Particularly when you consider the land that isn't land. Speaking of which...

I want to put in a deep sea trench. Stretch it from about middle of the borderline between F2/F3, across to the boderline between E4/5. Overall only use one use of Shape Land for the trench: it's supposed to be a long sharp deep trench. For another one use of Shape Land, slap some subterian volcanoes at F4.

Finally some work on that island at D6. First a Shape Climate to lower the temperature to artic temperatures. Then a Shape Land to place artic tundra on the island, with a single blue crystal jutting out the center of the ladmass.

And that's literally ever single one of my points.

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • I gurl
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: November 30, 2011, 10:15:23 AM
Hmm... Not sure exactly what I'm doing, but trying to decipher the rules now with reading.  This looks interesting...

Edit: Ok, I've read through the rules, and think I have a grasp of how this works.  Preferably I'd like to get a shot at starting in the 1st age, but not sure if a vote from me would count yet.  I'll get back to this later this afternoon, either in an hour 1/2 or when I get home.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:52:18 AM by Radioactive_Toast »

🏳️‍⚧️Princess is a contagious condition🏳️‍⚧️
She/her pronouns please ❤️

Fen

• Secret Wizard
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • For the glory of the sammich!
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: November 30, 2011, 11:34:08 AM
Hmm... Not sure exactly what I'm doing, but trying to decipher the rules now with reading.  This looks interesting...

Edit: Ok, I've read through the rules, and think I have a grasp of how this works.  Preferably I'd like to get a shot at starting in the 1st age, but not sure if a vote from me would count yet.  I'll get back to this later this afternoon, either in an hour 1/2 or when I get home.

well toast as long as it's the first age anyone can join, which it still is. Good to have another brain on board the deity train.

When was the last time you hugged your sammich?

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • I gurl
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: November 30, 2011, 04:43:14 PM
Hmmm... right, I'm sort of bumbling a bit soooooo...
The mountains in row B (little bit in C) from columns 11 to 13, I'd like to use shape land and make them a hyperactive volcano zone.

(Question, does that use up all four grid allotments for that one use or no?)

So that's one shape land... so then I'd like to take that same area and shape climate into an Antarctica-level cold.

Fen

• Secret Wizard
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • For the glory of the sammich!
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: December 01, 2011, 02:04:31 PM
Hmmm... right, I'm sort of bumbling a bit soooooo...
The mountains in row B (little bit in C) from columns 11 to 13, I'd like to use shape land and make them a hyperactive volcano zone.

(Question, does that use up all four grid allotments for that one use or no?)

So that's one shape land... so then I'd like to take that same area and shape climate into an Antarctica-level cold.

IIRC, you need to use a separate power to make bad stuff like volcano eruptions, so they won't really by hyperactive unless someone use that ability on them a lot. You can make them threaten menacingly with nearly-overflowing lava, though.

When was the last time you hugged your sammich?

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • I gurl
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: December 01, 2011, 02:07:14 PM
Ah, that's fine.  I wasn't going so much for eruptions as in locally volcanic active, with lava flows and the like constantly going on.  More of a setting thing than an event.  No Mt St. Helens. ;)

Fax

• View Profile
Reply #66 on: December 01, 2011, 03:26:32 PM
Yeah, having active volcanoes is just shape land, having one or more go off in a spectacular fashion (ala. Mt. Vesuvius or Thera) would be more of a catastrophe than a shape land

nagolinc

• View Profile
Reply #67 on: December 03, 2011, 12:56:53 PM
Toast brought this to my attention. 

Not sure if it's too late for me to join, but I am fairly obsessed with world-building so I'd like to if I can.

Assuming I can join, and assuming it's allowed, I'd like to use Shape Land to create a habitable moon with lots of dark scary craters.

Fax

• View Profile
Reply #68 on: December 03, 2011, 09:07:04 PM
Ok, I'm going to do two Shape Lands. First I'm going to extend the crystal forest north to fill up C4 and a tiny bit of C3 then I'm going to put some rolling hills on C1, C2 and the unfilled parts of E1, E2 and F1. Finally I'm going to adjust all of the remaining islands to fit the climates they're in.

nagolinc

• View Profile
Reply #69 on: December 03, 2011, 09:57:51 PM
I rescind my request for a moon and instead create a bottomless pit in the middle of h6

Donnie

• Mage of the TabletPC
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: December 03, 2011, 10:43:45 PM
Right so I'm coming in a bit late, I have a nasty headache so I can't read the rules in detail but I'll start with something simple with the 8 points

3) Shape Land - The island in D6 merges with the islands in D5 and C5 into a single large landmass connected to the main continent at C5. This creates a massive bay to the west of C and D4. The new landmass will be grassy/forest The shore on the east side of the new landmass shall be cliffed.

2) Shape Climate - The mass receives a jet current from the north, cooling the island, however summer heats from its geographic location makes for both hot summers and cold winters.

I shall conserve 3 points.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 10:50:18 PM by Donnie »

Fax

• View Profile
Reply #71 on: December 03, 2011, 10:52:46 PM
Fax - 9 - 6 + 9 + 3 = 15
Dragyn - 21 - 0 + 5  = 26
Kenku - 20 - 10 + 7 = 17
Fen - 16 - 6 + 10 = 20
EccentricOrbit - 17 - 9 + 7 = 15
Raf_Cian - 11 - 11 + 9 + 1 = 10
Radioactive_Toast - 8 - 5 + 8 + 1 = 12
Nagolinc - 8 - 3 + 6 + 1 = 12
Donnie - 8 - 5 + 5 + 1 = 9

Alrighty everyone! We have now officially moved into the second age! A time of new races and the rise of cities and empires! Remember that the cost of moves has changed!

Also, to answer your question EccentricOrbit, this is all drawn in GIMP.

/edit/
I thought I should also add in a list of the current avatars in the world along with some idea of where they are found.

an eldritch abomination - sleeping somewhere deep and dark in the world
a giant eyeless grey quadrupedal skink
The Grand Dragon Raval Brightwing - wandering the skies the world round
"The Flames Hand" - a 9 tailed kitsune associated with the burning lands
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:12:19 AM by Fax »

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: December 03, 2011, 11:14:34 PM
Behold the second age.

(6)Create Race: Within the grassy hills of F6, I create the Oryxians. Anthromorphic Herbavorus Oryx's who follow the ways of the natural gods.

(6)Create Race: Within the deep forests of H11, I create the Greryn. Anthromorphic Grey Foxes who are democratice in power. Religiously they follow the way of totem gods, most favored of them "The Flames Hand".

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:02:38 AM by Kenku »

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • I gurl
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: December 03, 2011, 11:51:28 PM
Soo.. 6 points for creating races? *cracks knuckles*

I'll take one 'o dems.  In the volcano/glacier mountains of B12 I create the Turu'hraim  Turu'hraim are a people in love with explosions. You name it, they have a holdiday or custom of blowing it up. They do however, manage to keep their plentiful supply of explosives out of the hands of criminals... most of the time.  They spend much of their time huddled in the narrow habitable zones and caves where the volcanoes heat things up to make them not quite as freezing as the outside, and here they enjoy experimenting with explosive magics and various sulfur compounds.

Ok, since we seem to automatically get orders with our new races, the Turu'hraim start with a religious Order.  The Cult of Kerspelowd, a religion that see the universe as one giant explosion, and explosions are the most pure and essential part of existence; hence they tend to devote their efforts to making bigger, more colorful and more artful expressions of big booms.

Aaaand I'll take another 6 points to create a 2nd race, this in C13: The Phoraj .  These sulfur vent dwelling creatures are actually quite social and amicable in most respects, though as they are a matriarchal society several things are different.  For example, these otherwise friendly people are sent absolutely bezerk into raging killing sprees when rival tribes engage in husband stealing.

Inserting an order for these guys... I'm creating a Trading guild.  The Guild of the Flaming Ice.  Seeking to create friendship and understanding while trying to create as much profit as possible, the Guild fundamentally believes in paradoxes... except when it doesn't.

Aaaand as that stands I have no points left over currently.  Ah well.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 10:04:32 PM by Radioactive_Toast »

EccentricOrbit

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: December 04, 2011, 09:22:15 AM
I'll create a race:

The Goblins: (6)

Within the jungles and mountains of D8 live the goblins: a race of anthropomorphized fruit bats. They have seperate wings and arms, with delicate fingers, and, as you would expect, huge ears. Sight is a secondary sense for the goblins, used mainly for close range tasks like reading. They mainly perceive the world through sound.

They like hanging out upside down in trees and caves, tending their fruit orchards, and composing choral sonar-poetry that is way too high pitched for anyone else to parse.

Dislikes are sunlight, loud explosions, and violations of their privacy.

I suppose to adequately interact with these guys, I'll have to create an order that instantiates my will in the world:

The order of the spiral nerd-glasses (aka the mathematicians guild) (6):

This order is dedicated to the study of mind-bending higher mathematics and anything abstract/arcane/overcomplicated. It's devotees often spend large amounts of time producing ever more complicated towers of syllogisms and logic. Within their libraries are texts containing many secrets of the Platonic world, texts that can drive the uninitiated into insanity if tackled with an insufficient background.

Any race is welcome to start a chapter. The goblins founded the first chapter to study acoustics and linear algebra.

Aaand ... I think that's all I can do this turn.

Also, to answer your question EccentricOrbit, this is all drawn in GIMP.
Nice job on the mountains then!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 10:37:19 AM by EccentricOrbit »