Author Topic: Dawn of Worlds  (Read 110253 times)

Fax

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
on: October 29, 2011, 09:24:20 PM
So I recently came across Dawn of worlds, A collaborative worldbuilding game and was thinking it would be kind've fun to run a forum variant of it. The rules themselves are extremely simple and relatively short (a mere 7 pages including intro, rules and examples though really you could easily skip large chunks of that and still easily play)

For the forum variant I was thinking that I'd take care of the administrative parts such as updating the map and the few beginning of turn mechanics so as to make things more accessible for others.

So, would anyone be interested in giving it a shot?

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 10:17:38 PM
Interested, yes, though I can't guarantee I'll be able to commit to anything major.

What would you approximate as the time commitment, if I may ask?

Fax

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:41:43 PM
The time commitment would be fairly minor, but could vary depending on how much detail you feel like providing. Most of the commitment would be on my part, as the time consuming part would be actually drawing up the maps. I think it'd probably end up being 15 minutes or so every couple days depending on how fast people respond and the updates can be added

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 10:59:24 PM
As noted on chat, I am interested. Always been a fan of worldbuilding stuff.

Fax

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 09:30:16 AM
Ok, so here's the rough starting map. Each turn each player will get 2d6 power points with +1 for each turn thats ended with 5 or fewer to a max of +3 a turn. I'll be rolling each and posting current totals with the changes to the map at the end of each turn. You can find the rules easily by searching 'Dawn of Worlds' for a PDF, or I also have the text of the rules here

New players will be accepted at any point during the first age of the game.

Here's a quick reference for the cost of powers, the things which you use to change the world.
(see the PDF for exactly what each does, the game starts in the first age of which here will be 5 turns before everyone playing can decide if another 5 turns of the first age or progress to the second age)
Instead of affecting a 1' each they will affect an area equivalent to four grid squares. This doesn't have to be exact, nor does it have to be one continuous section. I'm going to be fairly loose on judging the area so long as people don't abuse it. Also, remember that the grid is merely a point of reference. It has no actual function other than to make it easier to describe where things are.

ie. the area depicted in red only counts as a single square equivalent despite crossing into multiple  grid squares.

One major item of note is that during the first age avatars may not create races, this is mostly to prevent that particular combo from short circuiting the aim of the first age.

Here's the starting map, I've put some mountains on the map as a starting point. All of this can be changed during the course of the game. The actual map is significantly larger, but I'll be posting preview versions here with links to the larger ones

Here's the climate map, This will likely change significantly over the course, like the main map.

There will actually be at least one more map eventually but currently there's no information on them since its dependent on players changing the alignment of land or creating large underground features

Starting Points
Fax - 8
Dragyn - 9
Kenku - 9
Fen - 7
(next new person to post) - 6

I think thats everything for the time being, though do feel free to ask any questions any of you might have
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 09:56:20 AM by Fax »

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 12:43:04 AM
This is already looking preety interesting, well I think the first thing Im gonna do is this.

(3)Shape Land between the coast of E6 and the mountains of F7 into a Fallow River Valley, with the river flowing from mountain to coast.

(2)Makes a bit of sense to me, make the coastal regions of F5 and G5 a step cooler, so they have a mediterrainian like climate.

(3)Make the large island on G2 and G3 volcanic.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:13:31 PM by Kenku »

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 02:22:49 AM
Hmmm...Not much I really feel like doing, here.

(1)I think I'll give the island in column 2 that crosses the A,B border a sheer cliff on its eastern facing, and expand the landmass west and south a bit, so it almost touches the line between columns 1 and 2.

I'll just save the rest of my points for this turn, unless I think of something else to do with them.

Fen

• Secret Wizard
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • For the glory of the sammich!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 10:03:44 AM
I've just gotten around to looking at this, and I would like to play if possible!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 10:16:55 AM by Fen »

When was the last time you hugged your sammich?

Fax

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 10:32:58 AM
Sure thing Fen, just post a move and I'll update things as I go. Same goes for anyone else interested in joining, just post a move and I'll add you in

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 02:36:32 PM
awesome!

(3) I'll stretch the mountain range in C8 and D10 so that each reaches its nearest coast.

(2) Make the C8, C9, D8, and D9 a step hotter.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 02:52:00 PM by Fen »

Fax

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 11:10:28 PM
Ok, I'm going to use two instances Shape Land to put up mountains from B3 to B5 as well as mountians as well as a string of mountains from A5 to B6, filling the remaining space on A5, A6, B6 and the northeastern half of B5 with hills. Also some more hills south of the mountains in B4 and B5.
On the space north of the mountains in B3 and B4 I'll add a plain with two rivers.
On the northeastern corner of C4 I'm going to add a ridge facing to the south.
Finally on the southwestern corner of B3 I'm going to put a forest bordered by a river

Fax

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 11:25:53 PM
Fax - 8 - 6 + 6 + 1 = 9
Dragyn - 9 - 3 + 8  = 14
Kenku - 9 - 8 + 6 + 1 = 8
Fen - 7 - 5 + 8 + 1 = 11
(next new person to post) - 6

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 11:31:07 PM
(3) Cover C8, C9 and C10 with pockets of dense temperate forests that snake through the mountains. Have a river flow out from B10 into a large lake in B11 surrounded in swamplands.
(3+2)Cover B8, 9, 10 and A10 in icy glaciers, and cool the climate such that it would make sense that they wouldn't melt much.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:11:19 AM by Kenku »

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 06:42:18 AM
okay, I'll use Shape Land (3) to make land south of the mountain rage on squares D8 to F10 a dense rainforest. While that's six squares technically, it's only about three-ish squares worth of land, correct?

I'll use another Shape Land (3) to run three waterfalls/rivers down the mountain range to the south towards the forest to meet at a lake centered in D9. first on lower C8, second centered in C9, third on upper-left corner of D10.

aaand that should be it for me!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:44:32 AM by Fen »

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 04:44:27 AM
From the mountains in H-7, I will run a river down to the inlet at J-6. (Shape land, I think I can do that much with 3 pts, yes?)

I'll also put a chain of 4-5 smaller lakes across the midland on the northwestern continent, going ESE across D2 slightly into D3, totaling about 1 square's worth of change.  (3 more pts worth of shape land.)

And I'll bring the temperature around C4 up a step.  (2 pts.)

(Total of 8 pts spent.)