Author Topic: Video Game True Achievements  (Read 8169 times)

Fen

• Secret Wizard
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • For the glory of the sammich!
    • View Profile
on: September 01, 2011, 04:30:43 PM
So, in this day and age, many, many games include "achievements", a little thing that lets you prove you did something cool, and sometimes they come with points that turn into a ridiculous 6-digit number mountain of things you've done.

But, a lot of the time, achievements are either beyond easy (You finished the tutorial! Congratulations on having a functional brain!) or monstrously difficult (finish the boss run mode on Super Ultra Hard with only a small feather!)

That's not what this topic is about. I'd like to hear what you guys have done that actually made you feel good. Not because an achievement told you it was cool, but because you told yourself it was cool. What are your True Achievements?

To start off with, one of mine is earning a Netherwing Drake in World of Warcraft; going on and off on doing quests for the Netherwing faction from late-ish in the Wrath of The Lich King expansion, all the way to early Cataclysm before I finally bunkered down and finished.

It's definitely a grind to get one, but I thought it was one of the best mounts in the game and a fantastic mount, even if it was from the very first expansion, and almost nobody cared about it's content anymore.

When was the last time you hugged your sammich?

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 09:54:43 AM
Yea, i remember when I got mine too :). Another good achievement to try for is the dragonmaw races. Even at 85 with a max-speed flying mount, I still can't beat all of them XD

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

Anter

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 03:54:14 AM
I have no pictures: But I was pretty happy when I got benediction/Anethema back in vanilla. And when I got the netherdrake/manta ray back in BC.

Although the crowning was the Mechineer's chopper out in WotLK. Although I did craft  me a sandstone drake before quitting in cataclysm.

The greatest moment in the game however: was when using the sandstone drake (turns you into a dragon) the gnome on my back shouted 'FAALLLLCOOORRR' as I was flying her to Westfall from stormwind when she asked where she needed to quest at.

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:23:08 AM
I have no pictures: But I was pretty happy when I got benediction/Anethema back in vanilla. And when I got the netherdrake/manta ray back in BC.

Although the crowning was the Mechineer's chopper out in WotLK. Although I did craft  me a sandstone drake before quitting in cataclysm.

The greatest moment in the game however: was when using the sandstone drake (turns you into a dragon) the gnome on my back shouted 'FAALLLLCOOORRR' as I was flying her to Westfall from stormwind when she asked where she needed to quest at.

That is absolutely amazing. I also have a question; since the recipe for Sandstone is BoP, you had to have gotten it; there seems to be a bit of debate on whether or not you need Alchemy as one of your professions for it to drop at all, did you have alchemy to start with before you got it or did you pick it up later to make the Vial of The Sands because of how awesome it is?

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 05:43:51 PM
* Geary ponders the WoW intensity in this thread.

I'd say my greatest achievement was when I fought General Tor on Iji in Very Hard Mode and finished him off with the Banana Gun. There's something about the general of an insane and war-driven race begging for mercy with a banana on his nose that brings a smile to my face...

Geary: That means you get a companion for four levels, then it gets an upgrade.
Draykin: A very PAINFUL upgrade.
* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;
Geary: GET YOUR PET DRUNK.

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 09:46:33 PM
I think one of my best achivements was my first Arcade game victory, which was beating Soul Calibur with Hwang. Before then I had always struggled at such games, but doing so was freaking awesome!

Anter

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 03:53:07 AM

That is absolutely amazing. I also have a question; since the recipe for Sandstone is BoP, you had to have gotten it; there seems to be a bit of debate on whether or not you need Alchemy as one of your professions for it to drop at all, did you have alchemy to start with before you got it or did you pick it up later to make the Vial of The Sands because of how awesome it is?
[/quote]

I have an alchemist: however you do not need alchemy to get the mount. I used alchemy so that I could speak the vendor necessary to get the vial and sands of time required in the materials: however I did not need the rec to get it. I instead found someone who did have it (In fact, only person on the server since this was when there was only within the second or third week of cataclysm), and tipped them 1k gold in order to craft it for me.

The rec requires 400 archaeology, a lot of luck, and 450 alchemy to use.

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 02:28:37 PM
So glad to know you don't need alchemy for it to drop. Time to level my Main's Archeology to the required level, and make an alchemy alt to craft it!

...this is probably going to take awhile.

American Otter

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 08:30:41 PM
my real life acheivement i am proud of is that I am alive after all I have gone through.

Also in game wise. Beating Zelda Twilight Princess before my brother who is the biggest zelda fan I knew of at that time in my life.

and finishing the only fan-fiction I have ever written.

Anter

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 11:00:09 PM
So glad to know you don't need alchemy for it to drop. Time to level my Main's Archeology to the required level, and make an alchemy alt to craft it!

...this is probably going to take awhile.

No no no, you need the be an alchemist to use the rec. The recipie is bind on pickup: and is only from arch. So you need both of them to get the rec.

However the mount itself is not: so you can have someone else make the mount so long that you have the materials and a generous tip.

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 07:27:20 PM
Then I will have to toss engineering out the window and replace it with alchemy. Ah well.
Still, Sandstone Drake form. I always thought WoW needed more items that could keep you transformed as something else as long as you liked and weren't leashed to certain quests or certain zones. And this is the best one yet.

ONWARD, TO AWESOMENESS!