Author Topic: Comic Questions  (Read 36036 times)

Lopez

• Resident (Human) Analyzer
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Your friendly local Human Representative
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 06:43:27 PM
((This chapter will end soon enough, don't worry.))

Uh-oh. When you have flying ships you're just INVITING a stern interrogation. But I'll just accept it as "fantasy." <_<

EVIL ROBED CHARACTER IN THE BACKGROUND! THIS MEANS TROUBLE! >.<

Duh he looks mean, that's why Lucian hates him. But good point on the other half, he also looks kinda young. Then again, Lucian is maybe 20 and if he had him at 20 then he'd be 40, so I guess that's not so bad.

...but that's just my opinion, so don't let it bother you too much!

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 08:09:03 PM
Mwa ha ha ha...

Also, which is more fantastical, flying ships or talking foxes? [;)

[fox] Virmir

DessertFox

Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 11:08:13 PM
If the robed guy looks evil, I wonder what the usual entourage looks like. Plus it doesn't look like he carries a weapon. A mage maybe? (assuming that its a guard.)

Also, are certain foxes better at magic or is it equal? I think it strange that Virmir joined the red army if his dad is a disgruntled war lord. (You know family business) But if the grays and the reds are truced, it would make sense to have some grays in the service of the reds if they were lacking in mages.

Talking foxes beats flying ships any day! Unless of coarse those flying ships have lasers. o.O
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 11:10:29 PM by DessertFox »

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 11:52:49 PM
Lol, the flying ships of course! (I guess when 90% of the webcomics/literature I read has some sort of Anthro theme, the talking foxes seem normal)  |:)

Anyway how do these flying ships fly? Is there some sort of Blimp thing just out of frame, or is it held aloft by purely mechanical means (flapping wings, helicopter-ish blades, etc)

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Bowie

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 11:57:00 PM
*cough* or it could be enchanted...
I'd have to say the ships; biology doesn't say that there can't be talking wolves, it's just that there aren't. Floating boats, on the other hand...

Asperger's opens as many doors as it closes.  Damn doors.
Alas...

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 12:14:27 AM
True, I didn't think of magical enchantment, though it might take a lot of 'magical energy' or whatever to levitate and propel a ship.

Edit: The robed Grey probably is a Mage as well, since that's what Lucian was wearing when he entered Carrreyn.

Also is that Lucian Growling? or is that some sound the airships making?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:55:57 AM by KaiAdin »

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 05:35:36 PM
That's actually the airship sound effect. [;)

Anyway how do these flying ships fly? Is there some sort of Blimp thing just out of frame, or is it held aloft by purely mechanical means (flapping wings, helicopter-ish blades, etc)

I want to incorporate the answer into the comic, but it will probably be a long time before I can fit it into the story without disrupting the flow. (I want to avoid random 'how stuff works' comics).  So it can't hurt to give a teaser here.  Basically it involves a large crystal with levitation properties (either enchanted, or naturally found).  The crystal's "energy" is extracted and run through a ring of tube-like wires (which run along the base of the ship) and then are fed back into the crystal. "Spinning" the energy like this creates lift. [:)

Also, are certain foxes better at magic or is it equal? I think it strange that Virmir joined the red army if his dad is a disgruntled war lord. (You know family business) But if the grays and the reds are truced, it would make sense to have some grays in the service of the reds if they were lacking in mages.

Grays tend to be more magically inclined than Reds, but there are plenty of exceptions.  And everyone can use at least a little magic.

((This chapter will end soon enough, don't worry.))

Actually I don't plan on making clear chapter separations.  But if you guys want, we could maybe do a new thread for every group of 5 or 10 pages.  However you want. [:)

[fox] Virmir

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 12:02:44 AM
Actually I don't plan on making clear chapter separations.  But if you guys want, we could maybe do a new thread for every group of 5 or 10 pages.  However you want. [:)

I was sorta thinking every scene change, but you  tend to change scenes more frequently than every 5 strips so far. Meh I guess we'll see if a new topic is warranted by the time the next update rolls around...

Lopez

• Resident (Human) Analyzer
  • Your friendly local Human Representative
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: November 23, 2008, 06:25:47 PM
Basically it involves a large crystal with levitation properties (either enchanted, or naturally found)

That's nice. But how do you turn it off without having your ship....you know....float into the upper atmosphere? Hm.....there's a loooooot of things I would totally discuss with you about levitating ships if I had the time.

Yes, Levitating Ships ARE more fantastical. That's simply because of the fact that I've explained away talking foxes to a degree. In addition...Hey! Did you know?

Foxes never growl or snarl.
(http://www.ipcc.ie/infofox.html)

Weird, huh? With that, we have to adjust our entire frame of logic. For some reason, I remember reading something like their muscle structure is not adequate for snarling. Of course, typing "Do foxes have the muscular structure neccesary to snarl?" wasn't exactly very helpful to me.

In the foxes' case, they would never be able to speak English, because our lips are much more flexible for making sounds than their mouths are. If they were to have a language, it would be heavily click, gutteral, and tone-based. I spend all of my time in school hiding in the library reading "The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language," so sue me. >.<

BUT OH SNAP!!!!!! FICTION!!!!!!!  {:)

Sooooooo when making a story we get to do whatever we want. Including having snarling, English speaking foxes. Wootness. {:)

...but that's just my opinion, so don't let it bother you too much!

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #39 on: November 23, 2008, 09:14:11 PM
Heh, not a question, but eh!,

I just realized where you got the name 'Urocyon' from (the Species name of the grey fox). It made me Lol since I thought at the time that it was a pretty far out name to think of off the top of ones head. |:)

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #40 on: November 24, 2008, 12:39:09 PM
That's nice. But how do you turn it off without having your ship....you know....float into the upper atmosphere? Hm.....there's a loooooot of things I would totally discuss with you about levitating ships if I had the time.

By varying the amount of energy flowing through the circuit.  I intend to get the inner workings of a ship drawn up sometime. [:)

Foxes never growl or snarl.
(http://www.ipcc.ie/infofox.html)

Nice find!  I knew about the odd sounds, but that growling and snarling weren't one of them is news to me. (Although I'm tempted to do a bit more research, as I've seen pictures of foxes looking very much like they were snarling.)

I just realized where you got the name 'Urocyon' from (the Species name of the grey fox). It made me Lol since I thought at the time that it was a pretty far out name to think of off the top of ones head. |:)

You cannot beat the name Urocyon cinereoargenteus. [;)

[fox] Virmir

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #41 on: March 07, 2010, 10:41:49 PM
OR....the race of Fens is simply naturally smaller than both the Grays and Reds. Since Gray foxes and Red foxes are approximately equal in size, it wouldn't make any difference until now. Fenec foxes are between 9-12 inches, which is aproximately the size of a small cat.

This is my sort of reasoning when I dream up races. :)

* KaiAdin Pokes Virmir

You never actually answered the question Directly.. is that Fennic Messenger an Adult? or a teen (Hes still my fav Non-named character!)
Welcome, Kai!  Thanks for stopping by. :)

It's a pleasure coming here ]:)

Edit:
( Virmir: Kai: Those types of questions are best left to be answered through the comic.
Blah! He'd better show up again then!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:45:39 PM by KaiAdin »

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • I gurl
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: September 03, 2011, 04:52:45 PM
...I currently have plans for five races. ...

I might as well post a sneak preview of the wiki I've been working on. :)

http://wiki.crimsonflagcomic.com

Not much of a "wiki" actually, since I'm the only one who can edit.  I've been slowly adding content to it to help keep track of the world as I build it.  But as it stands, it needs much more content before it will be presentable.  (At that point it'll get a link at the top of the page.)  Asking questions is a good thing as it helps me decide which articles are most important. :)

Two things looking this over from the future.

1:  Oooooooo a secret race we haven't seen before ]:O
2:  Wheeeere is this blasted wiki it takes me to the main comic page! ]:P

🏳️‍⚧️Princess is a contagious condition🏳️‍⚧️
She/her pronouns please ❤️

Zavier

• This account has been TOTALLY NOT abandoned.
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: September 03, 2011, 06:19:18 PM
...I currently have plans for five races. ...

I might as well post a sneak preview of the wiki I've been working on. :)

http://wiki.crimsonflagcomic.com

Not much of a "wiki" actually, since I'm the only one who can edit.  I've been slowly adding content to it to help keep track of the world as I build it.  But as it stands, it needs much more content before it will be presentable.  (At that point it'll get a link at the top of the page.)  Asking questions is a good thing as it helps me decide which articles are most important. :)

Two things looking this over from the future.

1:  Oooooooo a secret race we haven't seen before ]:O
2:  Wheeeere is this blasted wiki it takes me to the main comic page! ]:P

Toast, that other race is a race of anthropomorphic swift foxes.

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • I gurl
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: September 03, 2011, 06:22:56 PM
Well we know that NOW thanks to Nik ]:P
... I think it was Nik

🏳️‍⚧️Princess is a contagious condition🏳️‍⚧️
She/her pronouns please ❤️