Author Topic: An idea I had...  (Read 6829 times)

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
on: July 25, 2011, 12:02:04 AM
So I thought of this the other day and would like to try it here if I can get enough people interested. Essentially this is going to be like your typical RP, except every player is on their own team. You will each be given a certain set of facts that you know, things you want to accomplish, etc. The goal will be to accomplish your goals while not falling victim to those of the other players. Kind of like a competetive RP basically.

For instance, one character might be a professional thief who is attempting to case a museum for a later robbery. Another player however is an undercover cop who has a hot tip that there will be an attempt to steal a valuable artifact and is trying to catch the thief before this can occur. Obviously the thief doesn't want his identity known or he'll get busted, and the cop doesn't want to tip his hand either. Throw is a time traveler who needs the artifact to get back to his own time and perhaps a typical citizen or two that have their own agendas and you get quite a neat soup.

We can do this as a series of events such as the example I just gave, or a more long term version where a band of adventurers is trying to thwart a great evil, but one of them is actually the villain in disguise, another a runaway prince, and a third just an amoral thief who wants to take advantage of everyone.

This can come in all sorts of settings and if we do multiple (possibly even at once) scenarios we can hit quite a spectrum of things. Please post here if you're interested in this.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Evilhumour

• The possessor of the almighty tail snap
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • hehe
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:03:46 AM
Seems interesting and something I am able to do.

(07:46:59) Robak: watch the horns they are pointy
(22:04:28) Risu: omg, its raining antimuffins!
(00:42:42) * (Rage_plushie) doesn`t move. instead he ponders the secrets of the universe...and wonders why trask smells faintly of strawberries.
(00:36:36) Virmir: It's fattening celergy!

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:18:54 AM
As GM this will be a bit work intensive for me keeping track of all the separate players and plots going on. There's going to be a lot of play by PM probably. As a result however, this will likely be more interesting for you guys but not much more work than a normal RP.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:22:12 AM by Stormkit »

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 01:07:26 AM
I am interested in this by all means.  I should warn you that my life has gotten rather hectic of late, but I'm still on here nearly every day, oftentimes more, so count me in.  Just remember I'm liable to be unavailable at times with little to no warning.

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 02:45:46 AM
One of the advantages of doing it this way is that individual plots may move as fast or slow as that person needs it to without being directly tied to the rest of the group all the time. I'm currently thinking this will involve a one on one basis with each individual member for secret actions as well as a public thread to 'keep up appearances', give clues, and in general be something that people can focus on.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Zavier

• This account has been TOTALLY NOT abandoned.
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 06:42:52 AM
I'm fairly interested in this.

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 08:37:16 AM
Interesting, the concept sounds a whole lot like Paranoia, though I presume you didn't have a sci-fi setting in mind.

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 01:55:29 PM
It doesn't sound that much like Paranoia to me, but I  can definitely see some similarities.

Of course, every session of Paranoia I've played in devolved into everyone hiding from everyone else, because we were all out of clones...

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 05:33:07 PM
Hmmm... it seems we have three people (four if DV wasn't just popping in to mention Paranoia) for this. That is possibly enough, but I'll have to see how scenarios would work for stuff and how to move things around. Meanwhile I have Otakon this weekend, but I will look into this once I get back.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 10:44:25 PM
Hmm.... having given this some thought, I think this would not turn out that well with just three people in it and it may as well be just me telling a story. I also suspect that as is I will lose interest in the idea soon anyway. Maybe if you guys want to try anyway, but if it's just a "sounds cool and I'll give it a try if you're doing it" sort of thing, I know I'll lose interest based off what happened to my infinite skies rp last year.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.